Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Does a tetanus vaccine work to cure tetanus AFTER the initial injury?

I sustained a deep (half an inch) knife wound in my leg, from an old stainless steel hunting/pirate knife that had been in my garage for years. I am contemplating whether or not I should go get a tetanus vaccine shot tomorrow for it. However from the articles I'm reading online, they say it will have zero effect on the initial injury since it takes 2 weeks for the antibodies from the vaccine to begin. Tetanus symptoms start sooner than that, after about 7-10 days.

So will getting the vaccine stop tetanus if Ive already contracted it tonight?

I havent had a tetanus vaccine shot in about 10 years.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

A tetanus shot PREVENTS you from developing tetanus. I can just about guarantee you that, if you had any sort of wound that required a doctor's attention within the last 10 years, or if you had even the most minor surgery within the last 10 years, you were given a tetanus booster at that time, as a routine matter of course. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Tetanus is a disease caused by a toxin produced by  the bacterium Clostridium tetani....

Spores of clostridium tetani can live for years in soil and animal feces. Once the tetanus bacteria gain entry into a person's body, infection can develop in both superficial wounds and deep contaminated wounds.

Preventing tetanus by vaccination is far better than treating tetanus once it develops.

Adults should receive a booster every 5-10 yrs,, if you are lacking the time frame then a booster shot is due however you don't get tetanus from rusty dirty knives, blades, or  tools,,, unless these items are in dirt or been in animal waste..

Source(s): nurse
  • 1 month ago

First, tetanus is in soil, if anywhere , and not all over everything, and then in low oxygen wounds like punctures, so the odds your knife has any tetanus spores on it is really low to zero, second, even if you haven’t been vaccinated in 10 years, the fact that you had them, it is felt you still have some innate immunity. It’s standard to give undated tetanus after a wound, if the wound was high risk, which yours isn’t, a toxoid would be given with the vaccine. You should be fine getting a dt vaccine with in the next few days.

Source(s): ER PA
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If there is an actual risk of tetanus then the doctor would normally give you a shot. This does work to reduce the symptoms and severily of the disease.

However, you should be aware that tetanus lives in soil - not on things that are just old or rusty. So it is very unlikely that your knife would have harboured tetanus.

The doctor will often give anyone with a deep wound a shot of vaccine to boost their resistance, although not necessarily needed immediately, as the protection lasts for at least 5 years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Aa
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Go to the emergency room first thing in the morning. You already got the initial tetanus shot more than 10 years ago. What they will give you is a booster. According to Wikipedia, the booster will still work if you get it within 48 hours of the injury.  Go to the emergency room and ask the doctor. The booster will work. Trust me.

Source(s): .
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Tetanus shots come in 2 forms. Toxoid (vaccination) and anti-toxin. The anti-toxin is given when someone has a wound and an uncertain vaccination history. You are supposed to get a tetanus toxoid booster every 10 years.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

you need to take a tetanus vaccine

shot as soon as possible, please do not delay

forget the articles on line

and yes the shot works to protect the body

from tetanus

• edward
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

We’ll give you the booster anyway, you should’ve gotten one in the past 5 years for that, it should be within the next 2 days for the booster. Whoever says it’ll take weeks is insane

• ...Show all comments
    • edward
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

They will try and prevent it from ever happening in the first place.  Tetanus isn’t instant

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.