Should everyone be required to speak english in america?

Should we ban the use of any and all non-english languages?

Pray tell, How would you ban the use of non-English languages  in a country that has a little item in its Constitution about Freedom of Speech, and I do believe there's a thing about Freedom of Expression too.

Having grown up bilingual, I believe everyone of non English-speaking background should be required to pass an English proficiency exam in order to be a vote or to become a citizen.  That doesn't mean they should stop speaking their first language.

The reason I say this is that those who don't know English are at the mercy of translators when it comes to politics and other important issues.  A relative of mine was prepared to vote based on an incorrect translation heard on a Greek news radio station in Chicago.  When I told her the truth, she outraged.  

That shouldn't happen.  

• Nunya

English is my second language and I believe that it should be mandatory to not only speak it but to be allowed to become a U.S citizen. Every citizen should be able to understand each other in one language. 

• Mamie

English is the language of business in the United States of America.  Anyone who wants to "get ahead" in USA will perforce learn English.  But to ban any other language?  Ugh!  Absolutely not.  A totally elitist and totalitarian concept.  Why should you or anyone else have the right to determine what language I speak in my home or with friends in public?

Like the old saying goes; speaking is silver and silence is golden ,so why don't you shut up and go for the gold.

People should have the right to speak the language of their choice.

• Basically, yes.....English should be the only language for conducting the public business.... and for all instruction in tax supported schools should be conducted in English except for other language classes of course.... 5th grad level English, at a minimum, should be required to become a naturalized citizen..... no private business should be compelled to do business in any other language..... and no employer should be required to hire anyone who does not speak English..... no one should be allowed to operate any commercial vehicle unless they are able to carry out ALL required tasks in English without assistance......

• Zirp

No. Freedom of speech should not be restricted to just that which can be said in one particular language, and Native American languages have a right to exist just as much as French, Spanish and Portuguese.

If anything, people should be required to have at least one second language

Source(s): Dutch, speaking English, French, German and Esperanto
  • zeno

We should make English the national business

Language. Simply don't sell or serve people

Who can't speak it. If they refuse to integrate

Into America and learn our language then they

Are causing themselves problems. It's not our

Job to teach them English. It's just the national

Language. If I moved to china or France or

Some other county that doesn't speak English

It's my problem or challenge to learn their

language. They can ignore me until I figure it

Out. Ok so ( ) mean bath room. Got it.

Ok so ( ) mean taxi. Got it. Into infinity.

• RE
      1 month agoReport

Zero, you want them to starve until they become fluent in English? Learning a new language takes time, but almost all immigrants to English-speaking countries are committed to learning English. In the US, we have no national language. Good talking to you!

Screw English!  This isn't England.

Let's invent a new language.  The best language ever spoked!!  We could do it cause we're the smartliest country of alzheims.

USA

USA

USA

No, why would you want to do that.

Every person is proud to be who they are and where they come from.

Am Scottish and I learned French at school.