switching intel fan heatsink .?

hello everyone.i'll be building a new pc GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard With Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K ...i copy image from site.exact same as my heat sink.can i use this heat sink from core i7 quad core cpu to i9 6 core cpu? reason for that bc new processor don't come with fan heat sink and i don't overclock cpu.i let cpu do the work itself.hope this help.thx.

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Usually these super computers use liquid colling systems, the fan/heatsink just barely acceptable.

The more work your CPU does, the hotter it runs and must have adequate thermal transfer.

Overclocking is stupidly pointless, like adding 2 HP to a race car and only runs hotter.

• thx so much daniel.i never OC PC system.i let pc do it.i never used liquid cooling parts for cpu.i will test out the heat sink i got on new cpu.if fan H/S i got can't handle it then i'll buy liquid cooling fan H/S for the 1st time.once again thx.

• Login to reply the answers
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is probably barely adequate if you don't mind the cpu running at 80 to 90 degrees C. But, using USA costs, the Intel cpu cooler is equivalent to a $7 to $9 cooler. You show a $194 motherboard, $490 CPU where i7-9700K is about $340 benchmarks

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz  score 20200 and i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz score 17220

Gaming PCs are a graphics card focus and even some video editing software does far better with a good graphics card. You'll still need isopropyl alcohol to clean up the heat sink and new thermal paste.

You are building a premium PC and asking if you can reuse a piece of relative garbage compared to the rest of your system. Are you also buying a cheap power supply to blow out your expensive system? Are you using cheap fans to not have decent air flow and a cheap crappy computer case?

You are choosing a premium CPU and motherboard. Even if barely adequate, your precious build should not be tainted with junk. Don't use it.

Instead of asking about whether to reuse that one, you should be asking about good CPU coolers at a reasonable price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#sort...

If you like low profile and effective and inexpensive Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet is good.

There are many good choices to ask about and if not in the USA, your selection may be smaller.

Per comment,

The i9-9900K without overclock self-turbos to up to 5GHz peaking at 140 watts and in extended use, which is the only reason to buy it, needs a better CPU cooler. It's easier to install a better one instead of replacing an overheating one that damages the CPU.  They don't include one because people building a PC with that CPU don't use it, and although the vast majority is not always right, in this case they are. There is zero test data with the Intel stock and 9900K, but with i7's the CPU has measured at 80 to 82C which is not recommended for extended run. You have not shown a full part list and main purpose of the PC. I suggested a low profile inexpensive cooler much better than the Intel one. Without knowing the rest of the parts, I do not know the functional use, and you spend a lot for the CPU and motherboard, but with the Intel cooler, this is no longer a gaming PC at all, and in gaming, the graphics processor is 80% of the performance. In video edit use, you need extra amount and high speed ram and a fast ssd. So far, years of experience says you need pc design assistance, and rather than be super nice and supportive, I want to be critical of this decision as I sense other errors coming in design also. Look for Cpu coolers rated highly and suitable for 140+watts use. The Intel is low rated and designed to 95 watts peaks. In most pcs not doing maximum stress, the Intel is fine, but why waste money on the 9900K not to use it to its capability, even without your overclock. It self-clocks up to your pc use needs.    

• Ok A.J. i was hoping you would give me some good answes without any issues.even other heat sinks can have issues too! I prefer using intel heat sinks bc im not doing lots of overclock like you and others.talk about garbahe fhs.even new fhs can be garbage too.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.