Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is it OK for my two dogs wanting to stay in my backyard instead of inside my house?

• reza
    Favorite Answer

As long as they have some kind of shelter outside or access to cover then they should be just fine outside. If it’s really cold though make sure to see if they want to come inside. I’ve left my dog out in cold temperatures while it was snowing of her own will for hours. I’d go out and check on her every half hour or so and she was just sitting there looking at things. (She likes to do that, especially in winter when I can’t walk her because of the temperature - just sit outside and ‘watch/guard’). She has a very thick black coat and gets hot in the summer so I’m never too worried she gets cold.. just keep an eye on your dogs and the weather - if it’s hot make sure they have plenty of fresh water or cold that you have a dry warm place for them to rest or give them the chance to come inside semi-frequently

• Ocimom

I would bring the dogs in at night, but its fine if they want to hang out in yard during the day as long as they are confined to your yard with a good fence.

Do you know what outdoor dogs are called?  Prey.

If they don't want to come in, that is fine. When they get too cold they will come in. My dogs spend time outside on nice days but come in when it is just too cold for them. They have a dog door to come & go at will.

• di

It depends on the breed and the weather - while a Great Pyrenees might actually chew through your door to get outside and sleep in the snow, a Great Dane prefers the A/C when it's hot & an electric blanket when it's cold. 

Yes. Me basset hound puppy NEVER comes inside my home. Currently it's 15 degrees and he's outside. He's a bad boy! Very bad boy!!!

• Jack H

You really do need to confirm the breed of your dogs to get an accurate answer...

• Jojo

Yes, as long as they have adequate shelter from wind and rain, water, and the the yard is securely fenced.

• patty

I would have them inside at night and outside in the day.

My friend has an Akita and she prefers to stay in the kennel in the back garden unless it is bitter cold. 

My friend tried to keep her in the home but the dog whined and wouldn't settle unless she was let into the back garden on a night.

• Vivian1 month agoReport

Thank you, but both of my two dogs would stay outside the whole days. x)