Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 month ago

Came down really hard on a knife that went into my knee about half an inch?

I was packing and there was a knife sticking out an inch from the box, I came down with my full body weight on this knife that went straight into my leg right above my knee a good half an inch in. I dont have health insurance. The knife was an old stainless steel hunting/pirate knife that had been stored away in the garage for years.

I flushed it with antibacterial alcohol for a good five minutes and then put a bandaid on it. Will it become infected?

Do I need a tetnus shot? I havent gotten one in ten years. What are the chances of me getting tetnus from this? What if I just allowed it to heal on its own with no shot?

• Andy C

Tetanus, yes, one is needed. Every ten years.

I dropped a knife in my foot and didn't go to the doctor or the ER and while my last tetanus shot was 3 years prior, it definitely got infected a couple of times. This allowed the healing process, drastically.

The flap of skin that was likely very saleable died and after a few months, fell off. I undertook my own physical therapy and being able to walk normally again took about 8mo.

If I had it to do again, I would have gone and gotten stitches, prophylactic antibiotics and real PT and it would have taken a few weeks instead of a year to heal.

And I had a current TDAP shot.

But alas, I was amidst a fairly serious case of alcoholism at the time and my thinking was far from straight.