Nadia asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

if someone does a balance transfer for me can they see my card balance?

I lied to my mom about the balance on one of my credit cards. She wants to do a balance transfer for me and have me take over the bill for it. 

I declined but she’s very bossy and won’t take no for an answer. If she figures out that I lied to her, she’ll hold it over me until one of us dies. 

If I let her do the transfer, will she be able to see the actual balance of the account she wants to do the transfer for? 

Of course she will.

It's not clear from your question what your mother wants to do.  Does she propose to transfer the balance from your card to her card, to get a better interest rate?  I'm not sure if that's going to work, unless her name is somehow associated with both accounts, and in that case, she can see your actual balance now.

But let's suppose she can't see your balance, and the two of you have separate accounts.  I'd advise against doing the transfer.  The worst thing would be that it would take the pressure off your credit card, and without financial discipline, your card would fill up, again, in addition to what you owe by informal agreement on your mother's card.  That would surely be the kind of thing she could hold over you for the rest of your life.  What you need to do is drive the balance on your own card to zero on your own.  If that means no Christmas gifts (except maybe homemade things like cookies), and no holiday trips, so be it.  Get a DEBIT card attached to a checking account at your bank, and start using that instead of the credit card.  Be sure to refuse overdraft "protection" on the checking account.  Then put the greater of 10% of your income, or the minimum payment, towards the credit card.  If the minimum payment is more than 10% of your income, then consider getting an additional job or more hours.

she cannot transfer her debt to you unless you agreed to it and that would be very stupid. She could pay off your debt.

If the balance is on a card that she's responsible for paying, she's already able to see the actual balance on it now, even without doing a transfer.  

If she is going to transfer your credit card balance onto a card/account and it is her account of course she can.

She is responsible for the balance on that account.