Steve asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why did my interviewer feel the need to tell me that I reminded her of someone who used to work there?

Halfway through the interview she smiled and told me that I reminded her of a person who used to work there. It felt kind of off to me. What does this information do for me and how does it benefit me? It kind of felt like she was comparing us to see who was better.

I have a history of being compared to people by my family so I know how horrible it feels to feel like somebody doesn't acknowledge you for who you are, but for who you are constantly being compared to. I felt kind of pissed to be honest. I'm not too pissed about it now because I was hired on the spot, but still I would hate to have to keep being compared to people.

This is just starting to sound like a rant about my history now so back to the question. Why do hiring managers feel the need to express how they feel about you reminding them of someone who used to work there?

I feel like I just need some sort of closure or else this is just going to keep eating at me and I won't be able to focus at work.

It's not all about you, for one thing. The manager apparently had that sense of you reminding her of someone and she voiced it. Allow that she too has feelings and memories and may want to make some comment, just like anyone else.

Secondly, it's a sharing thing - good thing - when a manager injects something more personal rather than more formal.

Third, you don't comment on someone reminding you of a jerk. Only someone you liked or respected, usually.

I wouldn't attach any meaning or concern to it.

Please ask your interviewer thanks.

Failed distance mind reading class with

All the other students.

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Personal views cited

You're overreacting. She was just making conversation. I saw someone the other day who reminded me so much of a friend of mine, I almost said something about it. She clearly wasn't comparing your work- just your appearance or your mannerisms. In my experience, when I've met someone who reminds me at first of someone else, once I get to know them, I stop thinking about that because they become an individual in their own right to me. 

Maybe the person who used to work there was named karen

.