Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Is it that big of a deal if I hate my wife’s father?

I don’t have to like him just because he’s my wife’s father. Truth is. He thinks he’s better than the rest of us just because he has some money, but a ********** will always be a **********, no matter how much money he has.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's only a big deal if you can't control your emotions sufficiently to feign the standard respect due a father-in-law. You're not going to beat this man at his own game so your task is to be polite until he dies. If you can manage that you get to stay married to his daughter. Otherwise.........................

• Login to reply the answers
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It shouldn't be a big deal, but don't try to come between them. Her loyalty should be yours, but you have nothing to gain by trying to divide them and you have much to lose because she will be resentful about your attempt(s) to alienate her from her father. Also, if you feel the need to explain, don't be critical of him, but simply explain he's not your kind of guy. That's the safest route for justifying your dislike.

• Tj
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Thank god you do not live with him. Its fine not to like him. Try to tolerate him while you visit with your wife.

• 1 month ago

if it's a big deal to you or to your wife then it is a big deal. if it's a big deal to random strangers on yahoo it is not a big deal. I have been happily married for 28 years and I can not stand my husband's father and have nothing to do with him. to me, it's not a big deal, I married my husband not his family and if it's a big deal to anyone else it is their problem and does not effect my marriage, it is up to you if it;s a problem in your marriage.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's a huge deal.  Personally, I can't even date anyone who I don't see fitting into the fam (or me fitting into their fam) let alone marry them.

• 1 month ago

Yes it is a big deal because that man you hate is your wife's dad and she might feel that she is being torn between the two of you. You don't have to like the man, or care about him, but for the wife's sake try to be at least civil around him.

• 1 month ago

No lots of people are ignorant worthless losers.  It is not impossible to assume you wont personally know many.  Father or not...  There is no reason her father cant be one of those people.   Hate away

• 1 month ago

Only if you live close or work together

Of course, it's a huge deal

• 1 month ago

Your envy is transparent, start groveling now, it’ll save you time later.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.