George asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

What's your opinion of fitness centers vs home gyms?

Which do you prefer to use to get in good shape?

They both have there good points. With the fitness center, you can join group activities, Yoga, basket ball, racquetball, exercise class, spin class, as well as 2-3 different machines for each muscle group you want to work on. It usually also has an indoor pool and steam room. It gets you out of the house, and gives you a break from other distractions at home.  No one to bother you or stop you from working out. On the other hand, most fitness centers open 7 am to 11 pm weekdays and 9 am-9 pm weekends. If you have a few exercise tools, Jump rope, weights, 5,10,20 60-100 lbs. a Treadmill or elliptical machine,  a step trampoline,  and you can buy a shower steamer. It turns every shower into a steam room. It costs $15-$25.  You do have to raise the hot water from the normal 100*-110*  to 130*-140* about 30 minutes before you take a shower. You can take a shower and then steam for 10-15 minutes and use 25% less water.  So at home you can exercise when ever you want or find the time at a moments notice, 24 hours a day. If you have to be at work at 9 am, and have to leave at 8 am.  You can work out 20 minutes and then run on treadmill for 20 minutes to work your heart. then take a steam shower if you get up at 6:30. Where if the fitness center was open early enough you have to add the 20 minutes to get to the health club and the additional 20 minutes to park, get undressed in the locker room, and then start to work out.  get undressed for the steam room, and then take a shower. So going to the health club can add an hour to working out.  So you are more flexible working out at home, but have few choices of workout stuff.  Health clubs have more emotional interaction with other people and more choices, but you are limited when you can go. 

I just can’t workout at a gym, too much anxiety, I hate anyone being around me when I workout, I do it at home by myself, only way I can do it, but if I could afford it, and didn’t have anxiety, I would pick the gym, as someone who works out at home, it’s almost impossible to get a picture perfect body without biting the gym 

I prefer working out at home but I don't have any equipment other than dumbbells and a mat. Mostly I do yoga.

It could go either way depending on your personality and situation. Some people will never go to the gym and some people will never workout at home, and vice versa. The benefits of a home gym are that it is right there, but so's your TV, dog, kids, etc. It's too easy to get distracted. At The gym, you may have made some friends and someone may be half naked, there are distractions too.

There's simply way more stuff including sauna, pool, and hottub at The gym. However, I think if you can't do everything you need to with one bench press and 2 dumbbells, you don't know what you;re doing. That said, the 14 year old who begs mom for a bench press in the garage doesn't know what he's doing. However, you can be just as lost at The gym as secret agent tumbler and helicopter arms guys show us (Youtube gym fails). In short, depends...

• .

My opinion is that a person should do what works best for them. Some prefer one over the other, and some people use both. *I* prefer to workout from home. I've acquired a number of pieces of exercise equipment over the years, and like being able to just walk into another room to exercise (no need to dress and drive somewhere). However, I also participate in some group exercise (a running group, and a beach bootcamp workout group during the warm months). I don't care for an audience when I workout or the cost of gym memberships (and the difficulty in canceling many of them). 

At home I've got a treadmill, a comb stationary bike/elliptical machine, and a gazelle. Additonally I have dumb bells, resistance bands, bosu ball, and other small pieces of exercise equipment, plus many DVD workout programs. There are also a TON of workouts available on youtube. As a runner, I can also tie on my shoes and hit the pavement outdoors from anywhere, and go at my own pace. 

I much prefer working out at home. I am just not comfortable being at the gym because of my anxiety.

Im not against going to the gym but i've become more of a homebody as i've gotten older and im just starting winter break from college tomorrow and i have a little girl with my fiance and we all live together he's also in school and we take turns watching her. So during my downtime i don't really like to get out if i don't have because im used to always getting up and going and being busy 24/7 so it's better if i just workout at home.

i think theyre similar to each other

Fitness centres are for plebs and fatties

i think theyre both about the same thing