FAFSA verfication?

My parents are divorced and my dad claims me as his dependent. Last year I had an efc of 0 and this year it went up to 2300. He made more this year and it is now only us living in the house. Why did I get flagged? Will I only have to give them my dads tax return and do the worksheet or will their be more to do. This is my first time being called in for verification. 

• nancy
    Favorite Answer

The EFC is calculated from a number of factors, but the most important are the parent's income, the number of people in the household, and the number of people in college. If your dad's income went up, and the number of people in the household went down, then that would account for the increase in EFC. As for the question about why you were flagged for verification, the Department of Education randomly selects a certain percentage of FAFSA's for verification, so it could simply be the luck of the draw. But verification is also sometimes triggered if the processing center detects a probable error. For example, if you report that you paid more in taxes than your AGI, the program knows that can't be correct, so they'll flag that FAFSA so the school will look at it and determine what the correct answer is. Your FAFSA might also have been selected by the school itself. Some schools automatically select a FAFSA if they see a big change from one year to the next or something that appears to be conflicting information. For example, your parent lists his marital status as divorced, but reports information for a spouse. In most cases, all that's needed is the worksheet and tax return, but occasionally those documents will have information that indicates the need for additional information. For example, if the tax return shows that your parent owns an investment property, but he didn't list the value of the property on the FAFSA, most schools will ask for an asset worksheet. Don't worry about being selected for verification--it doesn't necessarily mean that you've done anything wrong or that your aid is in jeopardy. In fact, students often end up with MORE aid as a result of verification because we frequently find errors that were costing the student aid that they would otherwise have qualified for.

i would talk to someone in financial aids about it