What to do when you have two similar story ideas, but the stories are still too different to merge and you don’t want to seem repetitive?

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

If your ideas are too similar, that's an indication that you need to broaden your influences. When your own ideas have become derivative of one another, then it's time to widen the scope. What are you reading? If you've read only one book then obviously you're not going to be in a position to use that one book as a springboard for a multitude of ideas, but if you've read ten books, one hundred books, one thousand books, then you're getting to a point where you're bound to have heaps of ideas that can be combined, spliced together, and where you can simply cherry pick elements from a veritable orchard of trees. 

But if you haven't been reading anything and the end result is that all you've got is a pair of ideas that are barely distinguishable from one another, you can either flip a coin and write a story based on whichever one comes up, or if you feel that one is stronger than the other or might be more fun to write, go with that one. 

In all honesty, it would probably be a good idea to shelve both of them until you've put away at least three solid books. Imagine all of the ideas you could have after that. And imagine how much better the end result could be if you were to get three well-written books under your belt in preparation to write your own story.  

Change the setting/ages of characters/outcomes/genre and they'll be different.

Dances With Wolves is the same plot as Avatar and Pocohontas - yet they're all completely different.

What I'd probably do is fully plan one of them, in detail, so it could be written in its entirety based on that plan.

Then I'd start the plan for the other, and the first turning point would be the absolute worst thing that could happen to my main character other than death. It will send the too-similar story careening off in a new direction.

(That's what I did in my WIP, in which book one was done. I created a tragedy that profoundly changed the main person.)

Think it through thoroughly then make decision.

just write something else

The same as when you have two men and can't choose which man you like better - pick neither. 

Write one and rethink the ot.her