What should I do if a doctor says he never received payment for services?

I received a medical bill for which I wrote a check and sent almost 2 weeks ago. Today I received another bill for the same services. I called the doctor's office and they said they never received the payment. I called the bank and the check has not been cashed. What should I do?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I'd send them another check.  if both end up being cashed, the doctor's office will refund the overpayment.  they can also put a note on your file that will reduce the chance of the second check being cashed IF it turns up.

• Login to reply the answers
  • In
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Stop payment on the first check and hand deliver another, making sure you get a receipt.  Your bank will probably charge a fee for the "stop payment".

• In
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Has anyone noticed that a question shows up as not being previously answered and when you do answer a dozen earlier answers suddenly pop up?  I don't mean to repeat what everyone else said almost verbatim, but there it is.

• 2 months ago

Write another check and stop the first one. Simple.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Write another check or give the doctor cash, and get a receipt!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You go to the bank and place a stop payment order on the check they never received.

Then you PAY THE BILL.

• 2 months ago

I have had to deal with this several times as a landlord who received rent checks through the mail. The number of letters that get lost in the mail seems (?) to have gotten much worse. What you do is have your bank stop payment on the check that your doctor never received. Before the bank stops payment they will check to see that it never cleared the bank. Once that is done the original check cannot be cashed and you just write your doctor a new check.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Put a stop on the old check and write out a new one.

• 2 months ago

Nothing until just before they threaten to give it to a collections agency, then cancel your old check and hand deliver another one.

• ...Show all comments
    • it is i
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Because often the check is waiting in a pile of junk in the office.   Don't expect them to be prompt about refunding your money if you send another check in and they cash both of them.   Plus, insurance takes forever to pay their part and, at least at my bank, it costs $35 to put a stop on a check.

• 2 months ago

Issue a stop payment order on that check with your bank. Write & deliver a new check to the doctor's office.

• 2 months ago

cancel the check and write a new one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.