What should I do if a doctor says he never received payment for services?

I received a medical bill for which I wrote a check and sent almost 2 weeks ago. Today I received another bill for the same services. I called the doctor's office and they said they never received the payment. I called the bank and the check has not been cashed. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

I'd send them another check.  if both end up being cashed, the doctor's office will refund the overpayment.  they can also put a note on your file that will reduce the chance of the second check being cashed IF it turns up.

• In

Stop payment on the first check and hand deliver another, making sure you get a receipt.  Your bank will probably charge a fee for the "stop payment".

• In

Has anyone noticed that a question shows up as not being previously answered and when you do answer a dozen earlier answers suddenly pop up?  I don't mean to repeat what everyone else said almost verbatim, but there it is.

Write another check and stop the first one. Simple.

• PAMELA

Write another check or give the doctor cash, and get a receipt!

You go to the bank and place a stop payment order on the check they never received.

Then you PAY THE BILL.

I have had to deal with this several times as a landlord who received rent checks through the mail. The number of letters that get lost in the mail seems (?) to have gotten much worse. What you do is have your bank stop payment on the check that your doctor never received. Before the bank stops payment they will check to see that it never cleared the bank. Once that is done the original check cannot be cashed and you just write your doctor a new check.

Put a stop on the old check and write out a new one.

Nothing until just before they threaten to give it to a collections agency, then cancel your old check and hand deliver another one.

• it is i

Because often the check is waiting in a pile of junk in the office.   Don't expect them to be prompt about refunding your money if you send another check in and they cash both of them.   Plus, insurance takes forever to pay their part and, at least at my bank, it costs $35 to put a stop on a check.

Issue a stop payment order on that check with your bank. Write & deliver a new check to the doctor's office.

cancel the check and write a new one.