Briannah asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

Why are animal shelters bad?

• Nathan
    Favorite Answer

They aren't - what is bad about rescuing an animal who is being abused or neglected, rehabilitating them and then finding them loving forever homes?

Some people don't like them because often there will be animal that need to be put down, this is usually because they are sick or suffering and the vets are unable to help ease the pain. However, that is something that every owner would have to do regardless - it is inhumane to let your pet suffer so the vet would enforce it if they felt it was necessary.

they don't have free range

• patty

because they give unwanted pets a new chance at life

Don’t know about private shelters, but I volunteered in a New Haven, CT city shelter many years ago to take the dogs out for walks on my lunch break from work. Being a city shelter, it was run by the New Haven Police Dept. A number of the  paid city there workers didn’t seem to care all that much about the animals there. Maybe it was because they were hardened by their jobs. I don’t know. I don’t know if that’s a valid excuse even. I got the feeling they just saw it as a job and were collecting their pay and didn’t really care all that much about these animals. Maybe one or two cared more than the others. Some of them

would just stay in their office eating junk food and playing cards and not particularly bothering to check on the dogs or cats in the kennel areas, it seemed,  when they weren’t out on call. The volunteers took care of such things.  I ended up

getting fired for arguing with a guy who went into the kennel area with another guy and was trying to bother one of the pit bulls in one of the cages by banging on it. When I  angrily told him to leave the kennel area, he asked me if I knew who he was And then informed me he was in New Haven detective. He also threatened to throw me through a plate glass window. .Since cops ran the shelter I ended up being fired after this incident. I was told I had not ‘acted like a ‘gentleman’. A particular New Haven female police lieutenant who was frequently at the shelter stole big boxes of cat toys and treats, etc that were donated to the shelter by pet supply companies so that when people adopted the dogs, cats etc. they would be given some of these items for the animals they were adopting.  The lieutenant just took them for her own use as did some of the other paid workers. She asked me if I wanted one and I refused. It was a very corrupt place. Half the time the dogs water bowls in their kennels were not even filled with water or sometimes hot water in summertime and when I went into the kennels to correct that situation I was criticized for going into the kennels instead of just doing it through the slightly opened door of the kennel. I actually went into the cages because I wanted to give the dog some comfort. Just to make them feel like somebody cared. I would pet them when I was filling the water bowls. I never had a problem going into any of the kennels, the dogs knew that I cared about them. Animals can sense such things. The paid city workers seemed to view them as a threat  who somehow felt they deserved to be treated with callousnessness and lack of compassion after all these animals had already been through. Every week or so they would bring in a vet and line up the animals and put them down with an injection since it was a ‘kill shelter’ and they didn’t have room to keep them all for extended periods of time since so many new animals were always coming in. So I would get to know some of the dogs when I came to walk them and they would get to know me and trust me and then a couple of days later I would go to walk them and they would be gone. Forever. As if they had never existed. Because somebody that owned them just couldn’t deal with the ‘inconvenience’ of having them anymore. So they died lonely and forsaken in those cages. Not even being treated with compassion by the people who repaid to work there. It was a very very sad situation. I remember a couple of Dobermans In the same kennel who I guess has been abandoned by the same family. When I would come in to walk the dogs the other dogs will start barking because they wanted me to take them for walks. It was actually deafening all the dog started to bark when I walked into that kennel area. I remember these two Dobermans never moved. They were literally so depressed they just lay on the floor of that kennel cage and didn’t even move when all the other dogs were going nuts. Many of these animals had been abandoned by their owners for reasons like the owners moving and not being able to have pets where they moved to, or having a baby and not wanting to have their pets anymore. Every so often they would bring in a vet and line up the animals and put them to sleep since it was a kill shelter and they didn’t have room to keep them all. It was a sad place run by corrupt and uncaring people. I’ll never forget it

They aren't     

Many of them euthanize for reason like over population and its sad. 

• Nathan
      1 month agoReport

more, by law it is illegal to do that. so, unless you are willing to donate hundreds of whatever your currency is you really should not be judging so harshly

Animal shelters are like hospice centers.

It sucks that they're needed but they provide an important service although they're often underfunded and understaffed.

Who said they are?

• Mark

They do the best they can, but the animals are kept in spaces that are really too small.