MadDogSousa21 asked in SportsWrestling · 2 months ago

Why did Rey Mysterio start wearing the mask again after he lost it twice? Isn’t Mexican tradition if he lose it you can not wear it again?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It was ripped off him a few times, not the same as losing it in a special match where if he lost to a Luchadore, he would have to leave it off, that didn't happen. Having it ripped off is NOT the same as losing it in a specifically titled match.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Not only that, but I think you are not allowed back in a ring again. The mask is everything to the Mexican tradition

• Wasn't he billed as Rey Mysterio, Jr. when he lost his mask in World Championship Wrestling (WCW). Does WWE bill him as Rey Mysterio, Jr.? The WWF/WWE has always billed him as Rey Mysterio. Who says Professional Wrestling Promotions even acknowledge what Rey Mysterio has done in WWE?

You do know that WWE sells Replica Rey Mysterio Masks at WWE Live Events? WWE makes money selling Rey Mysterio Masks and Rey Mysterio earns more in residuals when WWE sells Rey Mysterio Masks. WWE is in business to make money and so is Rey Mysterio.

• Candle
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Technically he wrestles under a different name and a slightly different mask from the one he initially lost in WCW.  In lucha, technically that's OK.  Most luchadors begin their careers with a starter mask and a throw away gimmick, only to move onto a permanent mask and new identity once they've either earned their family's legacy by becoming a great luchador, or simply become good enough to want to wash away their past starter mask gimmick and start something more lucrative.

Rey has officially lost his mask three times: Once as Colibri, which was an entirely different starter mask gimmick,  once as Rey Misterio Jr., which is different than his WWE incarnation where they changed the surname spelling and dropped the junior, also the mask in WCW had a crown on it, whereas the WWE mask bears a cross.  I don't think the third loss counts on the books since he got a rematch to not only get his mask back, but shave Punk bald.

Also, WWE and WCW booked these angles: not a major lucha promotion that runs according to lucha tradition.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

HE HAD PERMISSION FROM THE MEXICAN WRESTLING COUNCIL TO START WEARING IT AGAIN.

• succor
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

hey hey, it's Rey Rey

• Jay
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Tradition is not the laws of physics. I can break any tradition I want to at any time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.