Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

What is the best affordable wifi (without bundling)?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Just for clarification Wi-Fi is considered a LAN (local) technology used as an alternative to a wired LAN like Ethernet.  Wi-Fi is distance limited, where the typical range is around 100 feet (30 meters) distance from the "radio" (a.k.a. access point). 

The other "wireless" option is Wireless Broadband, which is also known as 3G, 4G/LTE or cellular data.  Wireless Broadband is what you get with the service plan from a cellular provider for your smart phone.  

When you mention bundling that implies to me you are asking about a package from an Internet service provider that wants to sell you Internet access, TV and telephone?  In that case what you are paying for is Internet access and they will provide you with a Wi-Fi router (that you actually pay for in monthly fees) with the service.  You can lower your monthly cost by buying your own cable modem and Wi-Fi router.

In the USA you typically have two choice for Internet service in a given area, the cable TV company (Spectrum/AT&T/Xfinity...) or the legacy phone company (Frontier, Verizon, BellSouth...).  

The alternative if you don't want a bundle is to use your cellular provider as your Internet service.  You can get a device commonly called a Mi-Fi (or My-Fi) that will connect to your cellular providers data network and provide Wi-Fi to you locally.   Going this route will use your cellular data, so it's really only practical if you have an unlimited data plan.  If you want to do things like stream movies than you need to be sure you have a really high quality cellular data connection.  

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You can set up a WiFi network probably for as little as $25 US. That's a one off payment for a wireless router then there are ongoing costs for the power the router uses which will be perhaps $5 a year.

It won't give you Internet, as WiFi is simply an alternative to using Ethernet to connect local devices to the router to allow your local devices to interact with each other, such as allowing you to print from a laptop on to a WiFi printer.

WiFi is NOT Internet. If you want Internet you need to pay for an ISP connection, but you don't need WiFi to access the Internet if your devices have Ethernet capability.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't know about WIFI where you live but where I live WIFI is NOT an Internet Connection.   All WIFI does is connect you to a ROUTER as opposed to connection by Ethernet Cable.   That WIFI router then has to have a WIRED Connection to the Internet or a connection via the Mobil Telephone Network.  Even WIFI Hotspots still only connect you to a Router and that router has a wired connection.

Check with your Local Internet Service providers.

• 2 months ago

Just to clarify, you don't typically buy Wi-Fi service. You buy Internet access from your local Internet provider, which in turn you can use a Wi-Fi router to get Wi-Fi in your home. Your Internet choices and prices depend on where you live and what plans the providers offer. For example: The only plan that AT&T offers in my house for Internet service costs $50/month with a 1 year agreement for a 50Mbps connection. I don't know where you live, so I can't tell you what options you have. You will need to do some research.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.