Unset jam, how to fix?

Hello, I have 13 jars of jam that I made yesterday that hasn’t set! I am a novice but followed a recipe to the t. It is pear, apple and vanilla jam and I used pear, apple, fresh lemon juice, vanilla pods and brown sugar. Is there a way I can save it and if so, how? Thank you 

• C
    Favorite Answer

Did you test the jam for set before potted it?  You either didn't boil off enough liquid or the sugar never reached the right temperature to gel.  Do you know how much jam you actually made vs the yield suggested by the recipe?  If you have too much jam it means there's too much liquid, if it's the right amount the sugar didn't gel.

You can reboil it and repot it in fresh sterile jars.  Sometimes it's fine though sometimes the flavours are not so bright anymore, but it's worth a try instead of throwing it all out.  If it's too watery make sure you boil off the excess liquid.  If the volume is right for the recipe you can add commercial pectin either powdered or liquid, make sure you follow the directions on the pack, to avoid overcooking it and killing the favour. 

• denise

Well the apples in it should have enough 'pectin' in them which helps to 'set' the jam.

I can only suggest that you put it back into a saucepan [big one] add more chopped apples and boil again and see if it sets any better.

You can get 'jam sugar' from the stores, that has 'pectin' added into it, to use for jam making.

• ckngbbbls
      1 month agoReport

If the apples aren't tart that won't help. the more tart the apples, the more natural pectin in the apple. 

Did you add any pectin? If not, put it back in the pot and add.

There is not enough natural pectin in apple and or pears to make a jam or jelly set up. 

You could try again using pectin, you will have to bring it up to temperature again. 

You will need to wash and sterilize the jars again and you will need new lids, you can use the same rings.

How did you seal the jars? Normally you need to boil both the jar and the lid before you put the jam in. You can try again if the jam is only one day old. Make sure you don't touch the jars before they set because that is one thing that will make it unsettled.