Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 1 month ago

I think someone is using my phone number?

So this is a bit weird but I got a new phone maybe 4+ months ago. I kept getting debt collector calls the first few weeks calling for the same person. Let’s call her “Callie”. The debt collectors eventually stopped calling for a short period of time but now I keep getting messages about subscriptions I never made such as “Thank you Callie for subscribing to (name of service)” and goes on to say you can type STOP to end the subscription. Now I continue to get calls from debt collectors, doctors, random people, and messages about subscriptions. One random guy who called looking for “Callie” was like “you don’t know her at all? She gave me this not long ago, are you a friend?” Is there a way to stop this or do I just have to tell all these collectors hey it’s not me stop calling, and reply stop to every message I see? It pisses me off I’ve had to deal with this the whole time.

Favorite Answer

Here is what you do. Stop answering calls from numbers NOT in your contacts. 

If you do answer any UNKNOWN calls, answer no questions with yes, OK, sure or any other words or affirmative phrases. 

Do not click any links in text messages from company/people/numbers you don't know. 

Set your phone to not ring, but send to voicemail, all those calls not in your contacts. If your phone's default phone app does not offer this as an option, download a call blocking app that does. If the call is someone you know, make sure all your family/friends/coworkers, know to leave a message. 

• BlkBear
      1 month agoReport

Also if some random person is using your number, not much, other than changing is going to help. If this is a new number for you, then it may still have old creditors calling for Callie. Callie may also be ghosting dates, creditors etc. 

That person likely had your phone number before it was given to you.  Phone numbers are not "virgin" when you get them.

• k w

take a shortcut, get a new number to avoid all that hassel !!!

Block your phone number if you care about safety of yourself