Rent Lease question?

My landlord sent me a rent lease renewal. this is my first lease. the rent is now raised to 1471 a month. the landlord is asking to send a check of the additional security deposit. Do I send him a check of the 1471 or a check of 36 dollars which is the amount the rent has been raised to?

• Maxi

Ask your landlord to clarify

Ask him, it's likely the difference.

Ask them but its probably the $36.

My rent is 500 per month. If you don't have a problem with paying 1471 then everything is fine right.

The increase in rent is not a security deposit, and I don't know why you want to give him rent money as security deposit.

A security deposit is an amount of money that's used to reserve wherever you are going to rent, so this amount should not be your rent money, or an increase either.

If you are just moving in somewhere then this is when someone may ask, for a security deposit.

I think something weird is happening here.

You said "My landlord sent me a rent lease renewal.", so whatever you do don't pay, for a security deposit. Because a security deposit is only asked, for when someone new is about to move in.

"A security deposit is money that is given to a landlord, lender, or seller of a home or apartment as proof of intent to move-in and care for the domicile. Security deposits can be either be refundable or nonrefundable, depending on the terms of the transaction."

As you can see from what I found above online a security deposit is only a one time fee, and you might have to give a security deposit when you move into a new home. I think you have been there, for a while right, so you should not be paying a security deposit at this point.

You have the right to refuse and move out when the current lease expires. If you decide to renew and stay, then you need to send the difference between the new amount and what you originally paid for security. If you paid $1,435 when you moved in, then you send $36, and then start paying $1,471 rent when the new lease kicks in.

If you're having to ask this again, you aren't explaining it very well, which doesn't matter anyway because you have to ask him.  A security deposit on a new lease has nothing to do with how much higher your new rent is.  It doesn't sound like you know what the new security deposit is and that's what you need to find out.  The $36 is irrelevant, because that's already covered in the new rent amount.

• R P

I assume your rent was $1435 before, and you paid a security deposit equal to one month of rent.

The new contract sets your rent at $1471, as well as deposit equal to one month rent.

Since you already paid $1435 toward your deposit, you now need to pay an additional $36 so that your landlord will have a total of $1471 on deposit.

This is entirely separate from rent, you keep paying $1435 through the final month of the original contract, then start paying $1471 beginning with the first month of the new contract.

You could either send a separate check for $36 security deposit, and a check for $1471 for rent,

or you could send one check for $1507 to cover both the 1st month's rent and the extra $36 for security deposit.

Your best option is to contact the landlord and ask if they're okay with just one check covering rent and deposit, of if they need 2 separate checks (if so, ask if they can be mailed together).

Writing an extra check isn't that hard, and if it keeps your landlord happy its well worth the extra step

• nanu

both...................................

you go back home to mommy or you contact him to verify, in all likely hood you just pay an additional 36 to the security...

or you can ask this AGAIN tomorrow and each day after that until you are evicted for not verifying this with the landlord