What is an underrated Metal album that you really like?

Annihilator Alice In hell

• polly
  • Andrew

Thanks for asking what is easily the most interesting question that has been asked about metal music on this forum for a long, long time. The constant barrage of questions about the same tired old bands gets so incredibly tedious as people can't seem to get enough of asking about mundane bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera and Slayer, so I'll preface my response with my gratitude and appreciation that you are breaking the mould and stepping off of the very well-worn path trodden by countless poseurs who only listen to bands whose T-shirts can be purchased at the mall down the road from their homes. 

I can't narrow it down to only one record, so I'm going to give you my Top Ten. Here they are in alphabetical order:

Clutch "The Elephant Riders" - Heavy, groovy, these guys are just a great time. This record never gets old. There's zero pretense with these boys. Maybe it's not strictly metal, but it's still an amazing record. So fun. 

Cro-Mags "The Age of Quarrel" - Quasi punk, proto hardcore, I don't care what you want to call it, but everything just comes together here.  

D.R.I. "Thrash Zone" - Punk energy, but thrash chops. 

Fight "War of Words" - Side projects are always hit or miss, but this one was just a bull's eye. Love Halford and the riffs and the songs here are just really well done. 

Galactic Cowboys "Space in Your Face" - Why has nobody ever heard of this record? These guys were silly, but they could really rock. 

Handsome "Handsome" - I really love this one. I was never a big Helmet fan. I always respected them, but they were just a bit too stiff and jazzy and pretentious for me with their Wall Street haircuts and their tennis shoes and pressed slacks. But this record is just so Brooklyn, it's not that meathead Life of Agony kind of hardcore, it's got hooks and it's got style and finesse. This is a definite hidden gem. 

Iced Earth "Iced Earth" - So many bands have come out of the Tampa Bay scene, most of them that Florida brand death metal that's pretty shite compared to West Coast Thrash or Scandinavian Black Metal, the genre that spawned it and the one that was formed in response to it. But Iced Earth were fun and they had great tone. pretty memorable songs, nice little melodies. I still go back to this one on occasion. 

Reverend Bizarre "Crush the Insects" - Great slow, sloggy, doom metal with a great groove. You really need to hear this one if you haven't already.

Sacred Reich "Ignorance" - Other than Overkill, Sacred Reich are the workhorse band in Thrash that have been churning out solid records their entire career. A bit too political for my taste at times, but I suppose 90s thrash was very socially conscious. Still, great riffs to be found and solid songs.   

Solitude Aeturnus "Through the Darkest Hour" - Stellar musicianship to be found here. Robert Lowe is one of the most underrated singers in metal. I'd put him right up there with somebody like Buton C. Bell, he's got power. And John Perez is an insanely talented guitarist. He plays a signature 32 fret model and knows how to use every inch of it. Great feel, really plodding and atmospheric record. 

Enjoy!!!

• Andrew

But this is my answer to the question, not yours, so it really doesn't matter whether you agree with me or not. And just because people have heard of these records doesn't mean that they get the respect that they deserve. Why don't you post your own list?

Nocturnus-The Key

Death metal with keyboards was groundbreaking sh*t in 1990. Plus the songs are all quality and the vocals are those great thrash/death blend that they did back then. 

• Dv8s

The Mob Rules - Black Sabbath

https://youtu.be/QWUH-DWd8WM

Youtube thumbnail

Savatage - The Wake of Magellan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vlyAsA8eQ

Youtube thumbnail

Was gonna list Hall Of The Mountain King, Streets & Gutter Ballet. But I think Wake of Magellan is way more underrated in comparison.