Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Is this unhealthy?

I'm a 20 year old female, I'm 5'7. I weighed myself today. I'm 173 which technically qualifies me as " overweight", but only slightly. Is this like a severe issue?

• Linda
    Favorite Answer

You're tall and so you can handle a few extra pounds better than someone shorter. What do you normally weigh? 173 is a little overweight, probably about 10 or 15 pounds. It's not severe but start watching your weight to get more control of this or it might get out of hand. It isn't unhealthy but it could lead to more weight gain especially around the holidays. Just start weighing weekly and don't overindulge and you should be just fine.

I would say no. BMI calculations are used to basically have a relatively accurate (emphasis on relatively) estimate over the majority of the human population. So first of all, just cause BMI says you're overweight doesn't mean you're overweight. For example, I'm an olympic powerlifter so I have way more muscle mass (which is denser than fat). Based on the BMI calculator I'm overweight/obese but nobody would categorize me by that.

Your body fat percentage is a much better estimate as to whether or not you're overweight.

Plus, even if you are overweight it is not the end of the world. At this point in your life your metabolism is in excellent condition it is not a severe issue.

Numbers only matter so much. As long as you eat well and get exercise, you are just fine. Coming from an obese person, there is more to life than worrying about weight

• .

The recommended weight for a 5'7" female is 126 - 146 lbs, depending on body frame size, per the calculator here https://www.freedieting.com/ideal-body-weight  If you are very muscular, you may weigh more than the recommended and still be fine, but if you were quite muscular I'd think you'd have mentioned that, and you're 27 lbs over the max recommended for someone with a large frame (which means if you have a small or medium frame, you're even more overweight). 

.

To be obese, you'd need to be at least 50 lbs over your recommended weight. Still, if you don't get control of your weight, it may continue to increase (and the older you get, the more difficult it tends to be to lose excess fat). People can be overweight and be healthy, so we can't comment on whether you have a 'severe issue' or not, based solely on your weight.

• Vicki

I mean, it's not the most unhealthy. But it wouldn't hurt to get a little in shape. I'm NOT saying you need it, I'm just saying it never hurts to be a little more in shape.

Like sort of. I mean like you're not going to get less heavy with age, so if you don't get a jump on it, 173 will turn into 175, then 178 and before you know it, like 200+. So it may not be severe now, but it'd be like totally unwise to wait until an issue becomes "severe" before you take steps to correct it.

It’s not too bad