fdf asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Could a Spanish speakers who is fluent in English give me the phonetic pronunciation of the word “ carry “?

Hi

I’m a Spanish speaker and I realize it’s not easy to provide an exact phonetic pronunciation but could you please give me the best phonetic pronunciation  in Spanish you can think of for the word “ carry “?

Would it be “ karry “? or “ kerry? or kaerried “? Or something else ? Thank you 

The short a in English has no exact equivalent in Spanish, but the e sound in Spanish may be a little closer to it than the a sound. The rr sound in English is closer to the r sound in Spanish than to the rr sound. So:

keri or queri in Spanish sounds

• Dave

Yes, no rolling or trilling is good for American English, and many variants of British English-- probably most of them.  https://forvo.com/search/carry/ . <<Many pronunciations at that site, but hardly any will be 'phonetic pronunciations in Spanish' since it is not a Spanish word.... 

• cosmo

It depends on which English dialect you want.  "karry" without rolling or trilling the "r"s is standard American English.