Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Is it strange that British bacon and sausages are often labelled as gluten free when gluten is wheat?

• denise

Well 'gluten' is in breadcrumbs, and if there's none in the sausages, their labelled gluten free.

I've never seen a gluten free label on british bacon!

• F

Bacon seems a bit strange, but cheap sausages have more filler (bread) than meat, so that makes sense

In the US, I've seen chocolate labeled as "gluten free". Some corn meal products also label that way. Guess if there's a public concern, marketers are going to exploit it, even if all products in the class are gluten free.

• Jane

Gluten is in any wheat and other cereal products, it's everywhere so always check ingredients. Anyway, sausages often contain wheat products and this would be true not just in the UK. UK food standard labelling is pretty strict so they have to state every single thing the product might contain, even if a tiny trace, just in case of allergies.

But they're not “often labelled as gluten free”.

I've never in my life seen either labelled that way but I imagine sausage that was  gluten free would be labelled that way. That's not strange at all.

No. It simply means that wheat is not fed to the hogs.

?. There are just a few bacon manufacturers out there who guarantee the gluten-free status of their bacon. Others, and there are many others who will simply say their bacon products include no gluten ingredients but, may include trace amounts of gluten because, they're processed in a shared facility or, on shared equipment. 

Some manufacturers of liquid smoke flavor actually use barley malt powder to make their products, now anyone knows that barley is a gluten grain. You need to check the product  for potential gluten cross-contamination before buying it.  

What can one say about sausages?  NOTHING. They are full of bread crumbs, wheat. Can you buy a sausage that's 100% MEAT? I doubt that very very much. 

People avoiding gluten is a fad these days.  I remember back when it was cholesterol.  When tofu and broccoli and  apples were labeled 'Cholesterol Free'.

No its not strange, bacon rarely has wheat added to it. Some sausages have wheat flour as a binder in them, but a lot of sausages use a gluten free binder like pea starch or similar. You just have to read the ingredients very carefully.

Sausages are never 100% meat, cheaper ones have the least and they will use wheat as a filler. Bacon doesn't have any as such but they only call bacon gluten free if they can be sure there was no cross contamination.