K asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Does the thought that one of your neighbors potentially is a hoarder/and or lives in a pigsty bother you?

yes it would really bother me--I know that my surrounding neighbors are not hoarders--but there's one way down the road--the only thing that bothers me is when I put stuff out for free out by my driveway--I am always worried that it is ending up in someone's hoarder collection-instead of being used by someone who really needed it...

• Ramona

Yes it would bother me. Mice and roaches and ants will become an issue. Also, their stuff usually spills into the front and back of the house. People who hoard don't keep an aesthetically nice out doors either. they don't mow the grass, paint and let the home fall a part. it brings down the neighborhood.

• Ann

Sadly, this actually happened in our neighborhood about three years ago.  A senior citizen (female) was observed sitting in her car all of the time--day and night.  The car was filled literally up to the ceiling with clothes and bedding.  Upon an officer's questioning her during a welfare check, it turned out she was living in her car because she couldn't maneuver in her house any longer.  The officer got permission  to look inside her house, and every room (kitchen and bathrooms included) was filled with everything from rotted food to sacks of garbage, papers and magazines, and there was even a dead dog on the back porch.  Her toilets were filled to overflowing (water had been turned off for months), and the electricity had been shut off as well.  The woman had been dismissed from her job, and she lost her mind because of the depression and anxiety it caused.  She had no family for anyone to call.  The officer arranged for her to go to a halfway house until something could be worked out.  The HOA was going to go in and clean up the mess, but her house mysteriously burned to the ground before that was done.  She went off the radar after that, and no one knows what happened to her.

The hoarding would bother me next door  because it can be extremely hazardous and prone to fires, mice infestations, roaches, gas leaks, etc

Nope.  I don't like Turnips and maybe they do.  What they do in their home is their business.

It is estimated that (given an average sized neighborhood) 1 in 11 homes have hoarder tendencies. While they are not close to me, I know there is a hoarder on the corner and you can SMELL their place when you walk by and see the garbage spilling out into their yard. When I lived in an apartment, the people above us were hoarders, too. UGH, they had so much crap all over the place, draped over their balcony, crap falling into our patio constantly, and the BUGS they had! ICK. 

How they can live like that, I'll never know, but hoarding is a severe mental issue that some people have and it's very sad. But hoarders also don't care if and when their hoard causes pests, like rats, mice, roaches, other bugs and these go right into the surrounding houses. So yes, this would bother me if my next door neighbor was a severe hoarder and I had to deal with bugs again. It's gross.

No.  They leave me alone.  I leave them alone. 

No, I live across the hallway from a hoarder. I'm sure his apartment is a source of bedbugs, but he's disabled, and if he got evicted, he'd be living on the street. Human beings have problems.

Rather depends how extreme. A friend of mine lived next door to someone who hoarded so much stuff that the enormous house was close to collapse, with the walls cracking alarmingly. The owner had mental health issues and was eventually carted off to the Old Folk's Home and the house sold off. It had to be underpinned and was converted to smart flats. I don't think any of mine are in quite that state, but I haven't seen inside all of their properties.

• Dimple

I know they are not.