What does 8GB Ram with 128 mean?

When I am shopping for a laptop the options are either 4GB or 8GB. So for

example, 4GB with 128 or 64 or 8GB with 128 or 64gb options.

But what exactly is the 4GB/8GB Ram part mean and what is the second part 128 ean? I know 8gb and 128 would be a larger option cause its more expensive but what exactly does each part mean when buying a lap top?

I want a laptop to do basic work like check my email or log into a patients chart whenI go to their home but at the same time I log out of my info and when it is my daughters turn to use it she can play ROBLOX on it. at a good speed.

• A.J.
    Favorite Answer

4GB, 8GB, 16GB for a laptop refers to RAM which is Random Access memory. It is a temporary system storage for software and also graphics memory. It allows smooth performance when more is running at the same time. The 64, 128, 256 GB is system storage. It holds the Operating System (Windows), all software, all personal stored files, internet cache. People find 64GB inadequate. 128GB can run out if you store a lot of large files. The central processor (CPU) also affects speed. You can look up cpus and tested scores:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Roblox is also affected by the graphics processor. There is a scoring on the 2nd tab file if you determine the graphics processor.

the 8GB means the ram random excess memory and the 128 is the storage space 

• keerok

8GB RAM is working memory where the computer does all its work. 128GB is storage - HDD (hard disk) or SSD, where all programs and data are stored.

You are correct. The more expensive one, the higher numbers, is better. If you can afford it now, get it. It will save you money from upgrades (replacements) in the long run.

if you want basic work then 64gb and 4 gb is best for you.

The RAM (Random Access Memory) is for storing working data on the PC.  This would include the background processes that it needs to run, aka. the software, as well as whatever you are doing.  A normal person should find 4 GB more than suitable.

The second numbers you reference, 64 / 128, are more than likely descriptions of the computer's hard drive space.  This is what you use to store your media and software.  If you plan to store a great deal of photos then you'd want the larger hard drive, but if the computer is simply for surfing the web and filing, then the lower number would be fine.  You can always expand memory, whether internally or externally, in most PCs.

Based on your stated needs, I would advise that you consider a Chromebook.  They are less expensive, far faster on bootup, and generally designed for roughly anyone to use without needing to be at all knowledgeable.  I've bought them for elderly family members who otherwise struggle, and they're fantastic.

The 8GB RAM is the 'working memory' of the computer, ma'am, and the 128GB is the storage space (where you can store files so that you don't need to download them again and again).

From the size of the 128GB that you mention, this would indicate that the laptop has a SSD (Solid State Drive).  These have, in many instances, replaced HDD (Hard Disk Drives), which are a magnetic means of storing the data. (SSDs save the data electronically, and are much faster in doing this.)

Although the 8GB that you mention IS more expensive, it would, in the long run, serve your daughter better as she is highly likely to move on from playing ROBLOX at some point in the future, and more RAM would suit her needs better.  For yourself, however, the 4GB SHOULD suffice, but 8GB WOULD be better.

Edit:

Sorry, but I forgot to add that the RAM (Random Access Memory) ... the 'working memory' loses everything that you're working on when you turn off your laptop, whereas everything stored on the SSD stays there.