Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Why is my dad refusing to get a will?

he said that my name was on the insurance and house. so he dont need it.

Update:

Lil Princess- I didnt know that, I thought it mattered but not that much.

Update 2:

What bad is that my dad told me he had a lawyer, and that how much he hates when celebrities die without a will. Turns out he was doing the same as everyone else.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

He is correct..............................You are the beneficiary on the insurance so you get it automatically when he passes. You are already listed on the house as an owner so no will needed for that either. However,if he wants to leave anything else he would need a will.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

He's correct about the insurance, IF you are named as the beneficiary. Life insurance bypasses probate entirely and no will is necessary. On the house, you must be on the deed of title as a joint tenant with right of survivorship. Upon the death of any joint tenant, the house passes to the remaining joint tenants. No will is necessary.

That said, not having a will is not a good thing.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Remind him that a will also covers bank and investment accounts, contents of house, vehicles, and other things that the insurance and house deed do not.  Without a will, you will have to go through an expensive and lengthy probate process and that if you are not the only relative or other person who may have a claim, there may be court challenges to what he would seem fair.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How should I know what he's thinking?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lucy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

With insurance is (outside) of a will.  Whoever is the beneficiary gets paid the death benefit. 

My (late) husband did (not) have a will.  But the only asset he had was (our) house that was in both of our names.  So when he died, then the house was transferred into my name only.  

Does he have other assets, like a pension, retirement account or stocks etc?  For those, he may need a will to determine (who) gets what.  

A will is good (if) there is a surviving spouse or children.  As a general rule if a spouse, then most assets are transferred to the spouse to live on or survive.   But if children, then a will would serve to determine (who) gets what or how a asset is divided.  Or, if there are personal possessions, then may want to note who gets what.

• 1 month ago

"Course of descents." Look it up.

• 1 month ago

Maybe he thinks he doesn't need one. He may very well be correct.

• 1 month ago

any bank accounts or other property he needs one

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Not true if there are pertinent laws of intestacy that direct the estate to be distributed to those he wants to receive it.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Making a Will or not is up to him, not you

• 1 month ago

It takes only few minutes - a date, a signature and the signatures of TWO non-family witnesses to that signature [two people NOT getting anything in the will] to make it legal. And can all be done at home. We ALL need to have a will.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.