Weird banging heard throughout house?

Lately a bang can be heard throughout my home and even outside at times. It’s heard throughout the whole day and sounds as if it can be coming from the attic but a thorough check of it has turned up nothing. It also seems to cause vibrations as I was once standing out side and heard and felt the vibration on my feet. It doesn’t seem to be correlated to the pipes as it seems to never line up with running any water. The bang is pretty loud and can be heard at both sides of the house at the same time. Any suggestions on what it might be would be great! :)

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you just recently moved into the house it is probably the spirits or ghosts residing in the house, just "Saying hi". Otherwise, if is not the pipes, it could just be the house adjusting to warmer or cooler conditions. Materials expand as they heat and contract as they cool. Refrigerators can also make banging noises which can be a bit weird but mine does that.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Shut off the water at the meter and see what happens. If the noise and vibration continues, check for a sink hole forming under the house. Water hammers cause noise but usually not vibration. Check with neighbors to see if they hear or feel the same. 

• 1 month ago

Probably something called water-hammer. Caused by a very long water supply pipe taking water to an appliance and suddenly shutting off. This causes the water to 'bounce' in the pipe causing the banging noise. Call a plumber to effect a cure.

• Marc
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

As rick has stated it could be water hammer. when your loft tanks fill the ball cock raises and sometimes it will bounce up and stop the water then bounce down and open then up then down and it can create alot of noise if house poorly insulated. Take lid off loft tank and run some water and watch i f it bounces. May need replacement 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The only way a pipe would cause a bang is if your heating system is steam. Condensed water may be trapped in your pipes to cause this. Other than that there should not be anything else causing a bang in your home.

There may be some construction going on in your neighborhood. Maybe some main pipe repair causing vibration to your pipes.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That sounds like it could be in the water pipes? When it does this again, open one of the faucets, hot or cold and see if it either stops or gets weaker. Also, check the hot water tank. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a squirrel in the attic? You can also send an email to "This old House, explain the problem, and wait for an answer. They usally answer right away. Good luck! Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Its Santa Claus trying to get out of your house.

• 2 months ago

I'd ask your neighbors if they've heard/felt it too.  I'd agree, is their construction work going on near you?  Could be a piledriver, that'd be felt through the ground. 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Could be 'water hammer' in one of your water pipes .............

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe there's construction going on, somewhere around you, if it only during the day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.