Water draining behind the washer machine where the PVC pipe is . We dont see any leaks but, hear cold water running down the PVC pipe. ?

Attachment image

3 Answers

Relevance
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sounds like the washer drain was designed incorrectly - there should be a trap at the bottom of it so you don't get sewer gases coming into the house. Or in this case, sounds of other things drain water running past the bottom of the laundry drain's pipe.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

i see four connections in your photo. the left most is too small to be a drain. the insulation makes me think hot water supply. the next tow are the faucets for the washing machine. the right most is the machine's drain.

yes, you can hear water in the machine's drain when it is draining. as someone else said, maybe the valve inside the machine that controls the drain isn't working correctly.

it is also possible that the vent for the drain [which is inside the wall], is also the drain for something on a higher floor and what you are hearing is water running through that drain.

Source(s): grampa
  • 2 months ago

If there are no leaks but cold water can be heard running into the plastic drainpipe behind the washing machine, it is possible that the cold water valve that lets water into the washing machine is not closing properly.  It is a electrical valve called a solenoid and it should close fully when not told to open by the washing machine's program timer.Before I spend money on expensive washing machine technicians, I'd check to see what else uses that drain pipe and see whether it could be the cause of the running water. For example, is there a toilet cistern nearby that might have an overflow that uses the same drain pipe?  If so, I'd check that its ball valve/float operated filling mechanism was not stuck or in need of a new sealing washer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.