Drawing Social Security?

My wife is 64 working and I am 67 working. 

Can I my wife start collecting social security now?

Later on when I retire she can collect 50 % of mine as that amount will be more.

What are the pros and cons

2 Answers

  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    There is no reason why she can't begin receiving benefits on her own account now if she wants to and is either retired or earning less than the yearly exempt amount (which you can look up at ssa.gov).  When you file for your benefits she can then file for additional benefits as your spouse - that is why the application asks information in regards to spouses - current and past - to see if they would be entitled on your account or you on theirs.

    When a person receives on their own account they will always receive on their own account.  They will receive the difference as a spouse.  Example:  She gets $500 on her own account.  The wife's benefit would be $700.  She will continue to receive the $500 on her own account plus $200 as a wife.

    I don't see that there are any cons.  In fact if she can now receive off of her own account that is just money she is ahead and will always be ahead.  If she doesn't file and receive off of her own account then it is money she has lost and will never recover.

    A spouse must draw off of their own account if they are insured before they can receive as a wife or husband.  If she waits to file until you do they will take one application from you for your benefits and two applications from her - to receive on her own account and as a wife.  That is not the case for widows/widowers who have a choice as to which account they will draw off of.

    If a person works beyond full retirement age they get what is called delayed retirement credits for any months in which they don't receive a benefit.  Only the worker benefits from that.  A spouse's benefit is based upon the amount before any delayed retirement credits are allocated to the working spouse.  Same for widows/ers benefits.

    I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Yes she can, but amount will be lowered since she isn't at full retirement age

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.