Is it better to be loved in spite of the way you look, or because of the way you look?

Gender & Women's Studies?

I know a man who "loved" a woman because of the way she looked. It was almost impossible to love her otherwise, with all the nagging and put downs she tossed at him daily. And the way she told him what to do and shamed him. He finally decided looks weren't everything and he left her.

He also said that having sex with her was like having sex with a corpse because she just laid there doing nothing, no expression on her face either.

That's a sad situation if i ever heard about one.

There's no such thing as "loving" you because of the way you look. That's not love, that's lust.

• Fusion

I enjoy being loved despite how gorgeous of a man I am.

That strikes me a wrong way of looking at it. It is great to be loved. Looks have very little to do with real love. Looks fade. Physical beauty is shallow and transient. To be loved as the person we are, the whole person, is the only real love and it is priceless.

It is better to be loved for the person you are than the way you look.