Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can my ex truly make me pay child support six years later?

I found out I have a six year old son, and my ex had told me he wasn’t my son. She was 15 when she got pregnant with him and I was 16. I got a letter in the mail for an Affadavit of paternity, so I took it thinking it was going to rule me out. It says  I’m the biological father, and my ex is arguing she wants child support of $400 a month, based on my income. I don’t have the money to hire an attorney, or pay $400 a month. Is there anyway I can get out of paying when I didn’t even know I was his Dad?

Favorite Answer

You should probably do a free lawyer consultation to find out your options, but I’d guess that if you really can’t survive to afford that then if they really do give her anything it’ll be a lot less. 

Yes, of course she can. You may also owe back support. She can ask for whatever she wants, the court has a formula that determines what you pay.

Show up for court. Any documentation you have of her saying it was not yours, etc is good and may help with the back support.

• Bruce

Your ex can apply anytime before the child reaches age of majority. The first step will be a paternity test, the next step will be an amount calculated by the courts, not by your ex. As a general rule, you would only be responsible from the day the order is signed. She should not be awarded back support.

• Maxi

You are the father, so you need to pay child support, how much that child support will be the court will decide...........

• PAMELA

Too bad, you are the father and a child is entitled to be supported by both parents, you will just have to suck it up and pay.

There's only one way to get out of it.  Tell her to have you charged with statutory rape.  You will be convicted and will spend at least the next 20 years in a federal prison.  When you get out, as a felon, you won't be able to get a job and you will be a street bum.  You won't have a dime to contribute.  If you don't go that route, then why aren't you working your *ss off to support the child you made with a minor child that you never should have touched in the first place?  So what that she didn't tell you until now.  That's not justification for getting out of paying support.  Children need to eat, be clothed, educated, etc.  You pretty much ruined this girl's life and prevented her from getting an education.  And all you can think of is getting out of paying support for the child you made when you raped her.  SHAME on you!!!

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • In

Only a court can order child support payments, and only then as a positive result of a paternity test.  Let her side PROVE you are the father.

You are the father. You owe child support. Period. You find a way to pay it. Don't want the responsibilities of fathering children, keep it in your pants.

If youre working you are going to have to pay. If it goes to court you may end up paying more. Its usually something like 25% of your income but varies by state. I will tell you right now, there is no way out of it short of leaving the country