What determines the limit that a black hole can spin?

The black hole rotation limitation audience of 3C-273.

Black holes are surrounded my a fantastic amount of mass, that keeps a black hole from spinning freely, like all this mass locked to the black hole, the energy of gravity is transferred which causes the accretion disk >great mass in incredibly fast orbit just beyond the event horizon.

• neb
      1 month agoReport

And by the way, I’m a retired physicist, but you are too damn dumb and uneducated to understand my answers and realize that. To me, you’re just another one of the many idiots on YA. I would totally ignore you except for the fact that you are a major source of false information.

• neb

Something called the cosmic censorship hypothesis. If black holes are allowed to spin faster than a certain limit, the naked singularity could be exposed. If this were the case, spacetime would not be deterministic for observers, not something physicists would be happy about.

Specifically, it is a requirement that the ratio of angular momentum to mass must be below a certain value (<1 in units where constants such as ‘c’ are 1).

This is by no means a done deal. There is no accepted proof that a limit exists.