Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Dog vs cat?

My dog attacks cat, has killed one feral cat and chases them. My father in law just passed and had a cat he was very close too so we inherited it. My husband does not want to try to find it a new home.

Right now having to keep the cat locked up in one room, how can I make my dog less Aggressive to cats??

The house is no longer safe for that poor cat. You really need to find someone who can take it. Now that you've let your dog kill one, it will be extremely hard to socialize your dog with cats, and I don't think anyone would be willing to put their cats in that kind of danger. It's gonna be best for the cat to find a new home.

• Maxi

You can't "make it less agressive" you have to manage and control your dog, train it and then socialise it around cats to STOP any reactive/agressive, however as you have already done none of those and allowed it to kill a cat, that is now firmly in the dogs behaviour as 'normal'.

I have dogs and a cat who learn from day one to accepteach other and also I have many of my friends who have dogs that visit who have never been around cats... I call the cat a "puppycat", so a change of 'command' all and any dog learns and is a softer command that 'cat' which encourages reactivity in dogs ( and some people use the command cat, to encourage chase/catch/ kill), my cat is not afraid of any dog ( she thinks she is a dog) so doesn't run/ nor attack but any new dog I have on a lead and depending on the dogs 'reaction' to seeing the cat, will depend on how I teach acceptance, from 'leave', to allowing the dog to sniff

As you have a cat killer, this inherited cat needs to be rehomed into a home that can care for it properly as your husband is just keeping the cat around to be killed unless he is going to do the training of this cat killing/chasing dog or rehoming the dog into a home that is going to spend the many months in training/controlling it

You have a problem there.   However, a neighbour of mine, with 3 Whippets and 3 cats, managed to have them all live together just fine.  Then one died and she bought a new puppy Whippet who found, and killed a feral kitten in her back garden.  She was horrified (and didn't know the kitten was around out there).  BUT the dog never touched one of their cats.

Provided they have an escape route, cats do tend to defend themselves so you might find this is the case with the cat you have now.    On the other hand, living in one room is no life for any pet so if having them together isn't going to work, a new home does need to be found for the cat.

Dog in crate with cat roaming around is a good suggestion, and perhaps a way forward!

• patty

your husband is very cruel. Living in one room is disgusting. I am sure somebody could adopt it.

Have to teach the dog to leave the cat alone or the cat could take an eye out or wreck its nose ,,,,, maybe place the dog in a kennel and allow the cat to roam the home for a bit doing this daily its not healthy for cats to be confined.

Source(s): 2 cats own me