Additional security deposit lease?

I'm confused with the wording from my landlord. They are giving me a new lease with the rent being raised. My rent will be 1456 a month soon. They are asking for "additional security deposit" on a check. What is that? The 1456? or the 36 dollars being raised?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

just the increase

• Login to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

They want the security deposit increased to the rent level, what ever the deposit is you will need to increase it to the new rent level.  It happens! So the rent is higher and the security deposit has to be increased to reflex that amount!

• 1 month ago

Most likely you would take the deposit stated in the new lease, subtract what you have already paid & send him the difference. You need to be asking your landlord this to make sure. Anytime you have questions about the lease it is bet to get answers straight form the horses mouth as the saying goes. 

• 1 month ago

It sounds like when you originally moved in you paid a security deposit. They are asking for more to add to the original amount.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Ask them. LIkely yes, the amount they want is the difference between the new rent and your existing deposit.

• 1 month ago

An additional security deposit just ads to the one you already have on deposit.  It is in keeping with current security deposits in the area.  Those increase just as rent does, but not as often.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 1 month ago

Neither. Remember when you got the apartment and gave them a security deposit? They're raising that too. You need to give them another security deposit, in addition to giving them the rent.

• this is my 1st ever lease. It used to be my mother's. I've signed the succession. the rent is being raised and they want a check of additional security deposit. I'm just not sure if i give them the secruity deposit amount or the addtional charge

• LILL
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's likely to be $36....but call and make certain.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ask them, there's no way we can know what your landlord means.  Check into your state's laws on the allowable amount of deposit they can ask for (if there is a limit) so you know what to do when they tell you how much more it is going to be.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.