If someone made an car insurance claim very late after an accident, do i have to go through with it?

I was in a minor accident and the person didn t contact my insurance until like 2 weeks after. my insurance has only emailed me a few times telling me to respond to the claim. i don t want it on my record and i ve read your supposed to contact insurance within 24 hours of the accident. can i just ignore it?

Please avoid commenting just to be a gigantic ******* to me because of the fact that i am asking this question. it s not something you can just google or that i can easily ask anyone else so i was JUST WONDERING if anyone has an answer. because people on this website are always assholes when you ask a stupid question on a website literally designed for asking questions. if you want to be rude and don t have an answer just don t comment. thanks!

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There is no 24 hour limit to report an accident.  Many insurance companies require policyholders to make claims within a specified window of time after the accident has occurred, but these limits are not made public and are specific to each policy. If you are unsure, ask your insurance agent.  In some states you can claim after a year has passed.

Do as your insurance said respond to the claim.  You can not ignore it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Why worry about it being on your record  insurance companies depend on 93% of all insured  clients to avoid making claims . this is how they make millions and in some cases billions of dollars in profit a month . at worst  depending on the provider they will raise your premium and you'll switch to a different carrier or they will cancel your policy for actually using it (making you a higher risk) if you dont like those facts maybe you should call a congressman and ask why the government has made a monopoly of an intangible product that has no value ... 

• 1 month ago

Yes they can, and yes you do.  You can't ignore this problem away.

You had the accident, gave your info to the other driver, and now they're claiming for compensation.  This thing is already on your record.  And no, you don't get a free pass after 24 hours.  You don't even get a free pass after 24 days.  This is happening, whether you decide to 'go through with it' or not.

Right now, your insurance company has contacted you to get your side of the story.  Where it happened, how it happened, who said what to whom when it happened, did anyone else see it happen, etc.  That's part of the official procedure, and they must give you __ days to respond and provide your statement.  I left the number of days blank because it varies by jurisdiction, and you didn't say where you live.

If you ignore your insurance company, they'll just proceed with the information they have.  If that means only having one side of the story, they'll do that.  Then they'll accept 100% liability on your behalf (they're allowed, it says so in the contract) and be done with it.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

NO, It is already on record, plus the 24 hours is for you not some one filing a claim against your insurance. They had to wait ten days for the accident report to file their claim!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lucy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Technically" you should always contact your insurance after an accident.  But say for instance that (both) of you agree to not file a claim or (if) 1 person agrees to pay the other for the damages, then insurance would not get involved. 

If, I had to guess, you are the one at fault for this accident and you told the other person that you will pay for the damages, (but) you have ignored the phone calls or failed to pay them, thus after 2 weeks, they decided to file a claim on your insurance so that the insurance pays them.  

So now that the insurance has been notified, then it does not matter if they pay or deny the claim, since the claim is now a part of your record.   And yes if you ignore your insurance, they will deny the claim, for "failure to cooperate with your insurance company".  

Your choice.  If you are at fault and you don't cooperate with your insurance, so insurance does not pay for you, thus at that time the other person can sue you for the damages that you owe. 

Source(s): retired auto adjuster
  • May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

two weeks is not "late".  

A claim can be made not only 2 weeks later but even 2 years later.   Besides, You have no power or no right to ignore a claim, anyway.  Once someone files a claim against you/your insurance, it is Your insurance company that is obligated to respond.  THEY will handle it.   You are required to answer your insurance company's questions.  

Also....YOU are required to notify YOUR insurance company of an accident in a "timely" manner.  Did you do that?  Why not?  If you did not, your company may drop you.  

Read your policy (contract).  You will see that you must notify them.

Once a claim is made You cannot ignore it. 

• 1 month ago

If there is a Police report you had better respond.

If there was no Police report and you feel it wasn't your fault just ignore it and find out if the other driver is mad enough to take you to court.

If it was your fault take care of your **** up.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • lj1
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can ignore your insurance company if you want to. They will just accept liability on your behalf without hearing your side of the story. If you refuse to talk to them, you are in violation of your contract, and they can drop you.

You had an at-fault accident. It's going to be on your record whether you ignore it or not.

• 1 month ago

You could ignore it. Be warned not the best idea.

YOUR insurance has been notified of the incident.

They EXPECT you to give your version of the incident. You are to cooperate with their lawyers and others in investigating the claim. READ YOUR POLICY

The insurance adjusters/lawyers will make some sort of settlement.

IT WILL BE on your record  and It already is .

• 1 month ago

2 weeks is not "very late" after an accident. Most states allow 2 YEARS to do so. You must respond to your insurance company, or they may just drop you and let you deal with it on your own. You paid for it, use it! Let them deal with it, it's what they get paid for.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.