What should i change my cpu and motherboard to?

Right now my rig is a msi g41m p33 lga 775 socket motherboard, a intel quad q6600 with 8gb ram, a 600w psu, a r7 260x, 320gb hdd and a 480gb ssd, im looking to chage my motherboard and cpu only, so i need something ddr3 compatible but with better capabilities then anything on a lga 775 socket and also i currently have windows 10 and activated, would i lose my access to it if i swap my mobo? My budget  is between 60 - 120 $ 

I would suggest looking for a used Ryzen CPU and a b350 or b450 motherboard with at least an 8gb stick of DDR4 RAM at 2400mhz or higher. I would suggest DDR4-3000 of you can afford it. 

If you're interested in used gear then check offerup, craigslist, or bid on items at ebay.

Another pick you can look at is a Xeon E3 processor and a compatible motherboard. I can get an Ivy Bridge class Xeon like the E3-1240 v2 for $50, which is pretty much the same as the Core i7-3770 but this Xeon lacks integrated graphics. You will have to do research on how to find a compatible motherboard for these Xeon processors.

• Goerge

You would at best get a sidegrade without moving forward in time and going for something more modern. Even a bottom end Ryzen 2200g would run circles around the Q6600.

Consider this PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/krvvyX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.98 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Patriot 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $167.96

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-10 22:06 EST-0500

An extra $50 and you have a new PC that would crush your current setup. That doesn't mean it's high end because it's a low end build. For those that aren't sure, the DDR4 RAM will work just fine with a GFX card that has DDR3 RAM. The card has onboard RAM so no worries there.

Check out how your Win 10 license was activated. It should say something like This device is activated with a DIGITAL license which means reactivation wouldn't be necessary. 

Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.

When installing Windows 10, the digital license associates itself with your device's hardware. If you make significant hardware changes on your device, such as replacing your motherboard, Windows will no longer find a license that matches your device, and you’ll need to reactivate Windows to get it up and running.

To activate Windows, you'll need either a digital license or a product key. To find out which you need, see "What activation method do I use, product key or digital license?" in Activate Windows 10. Then, use the following info to help you successfully prepare for a hardware change and reactivate Windows 10.

Prepare your Windows 10 device for a hardware change

First, follow these steps to find out if Windows 10 is already activated.

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation .

That is where you should see Digital. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/win...

• Goerge
      1 month agoReport

You can forget the hardware as far as the license is concerned and the brand of the CPU has always been irrelevant. It was the board the the license was tied to, not the processor on the board.