How are Canadian grades converted to American grades?

I'm a Canadian student applying to colleges in the United States, and trying to calculate my GPA.

As you probably know, the A grade range of Canada is 80-100. But in the states it is 90-100. If I receive, for example, an 85 in a course, when calculating my GPA would I count it as an A-minus (Canadian standards) or a B (American standards)?

Also, is there a Canadian equivalent to honors classes in the USA? Would a university-level course count as honors or just regular? Thanks.


Just trying calculate my gpa to see how qualified I am for certain colleges by the way.

3 Answers

  • di
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    You will have to provide the U.S. school an official transcript from your Canadian school.  The school in the U.S. will take care of the grade translation for you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    You really need the actual percentage score, not the letter grade.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    I graduated from a high school in Pickering Ontario.  I applied to a college in San Francisco, CA.  When I submitted by application to the college, I did not have to convert my grades.  The admission office of the college can ask directly to the office at my high school since every college has a different grading scheme.  For example:

    A in my college is 90-100

    B is 75 to 90

    C is 60 to 75

    D is below 60 and a FAIL.

    Source(s): I got accepted to the college in San Francisco and graduated
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.