Why does Steinbeck develop Curley's wife character so much (give a lot of background)even though she is not in the book that much?Confused?

The book is Of mice and men 

• Andrew

Oh, I bet this is just something that has been keeping you up nights, hasn't it, child? You've been lying in bed tossing and turning wondering to yourself why Steinbeck would ever do such a thing. My heart truly goes out to you. I mean, some might presume that you actually couldn't give a toss about Steinbeck's stylistic choices and you're only asking because your teacher asked you, but I know that's not the case. And despite the fact that you were asking questions about the same book two weeks ago - which for most people would be a clear indication that it's assigned reading, I know you're just one of those deep-thinking people that obsesses over the small things in life. If I weren't, I might be inclined to say something completely out of character here such as: "For the love of God, you indolent dolt, the goddamn book is barely 100 pages long and you've had two fecking weeks to read it. Had you read half a dozen pages a day you'd be done by now. Is that really too much to ask? Because when you're scrubbing toilets in a fast food joint to make your rent you'll have plenty of time to think about how you landed yourself there." But it's not like that admonishment might apply to somebody like you who's only interested in really and truly understanding the book, right?       

• Andrew
      1 month agoReport

Hey, why the thumbs-down, little fella? Did ol' Andy strike a nerve there?