Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is my dad neglecting his dog?

So I was giving my dads dog a bath, and when the dog whent to lay down, I noticed the fur under his paws was a rusty red. I know that could be caused by licking caused by allergies. I asked him if his dog licked his paws a lot. He said he very seldomly licks his paws. I asked him if he does eventually seem uncomfortable licking them, than can he ask the vet I'd he can give his dog benadryl? He said yes, hes not gonna let him get uncomfortable. I was thinking that the dog would have to lick a lot for the fur to get like that, but hes 8 years old, so I guess 8 years of licking hear, and there coiled cause that? Would it be wrong him I didnt keep pushing him to take his dog to the vet?

How big of a dog are you talking about? What is the natural color of the coat? Have you looked in between the toes & pads to see if there is anything there? Is it like this on all four feet? If it is on all four feet & the dog isn't doing any licking, it must be natural.

A dog groomer can scoop out all that hair & remove any mats that may have formed in between toes & pads.

I do not see a reason to take the dog in to see a Vet. Poop & urine can cause this change in color, if the dog is caged & walking in the poop & pee.

• Nicholas1 month agoReport

Is it also normal for a dogs fur around its penis stained that color? Because his looks like that

• patty

my dogs sometimes had reddish fur. does your father have wandering jew in his garden, this weed can annoy the dog. u can ask the vet. It won't hurt to get the dog a checkup as he is getting older.

• odd

I never had a dog that DIDN'T have rusty red fur around the toe pads. It has something to do with the oils in the fur and skin secretions and nothing to do with neglect. Dogs also have a funky smell to their feet reminiscent of corn chips which is actually caused by a certain type of yeast (harmless). . .

anything is possible, i would take him to the vet to find out

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the red fur under the paws is normal for dogs. I have a 3y/o white shepherd and she's had her paws like that I'm pretty sure ever since she became an adult. Been to the vet for checkups and stuff and they never said anything. I think you should be fine.