How do I restore sound on my laptop?

I currently have two issues regarding the audio on my laptop. I have followed every piece of advice I've found online so far, but nothing has worked.

1. Earphones no longer work when plugged into my laptop.

2. Sometimes there is no audio from my laptop's speakers until I restart it. I'd rather avoid restarting the computer every time this happens. Everything in Device Management is updated, and according to Control Panel, the system audio is working fine (except it isn't).

Who can help me?

• keerok

Who can help you? The authorized service center of your laptop's brand.

With no clues from you about what model "laptop" and what operating system (Windows something--a couple reference words you gave but no version) no one can help you.  Wasted question.

Continue doing the restart trick. Most laptop sound ports are misused. If a headset port, the headphones are useless without an adapter plug. If sideways yanking was done in past, port is broken.

In that last situation, you might have to buy a USB sound box for a few $

Source(s): Using laptops for over 20 years with many ways to connect sound. Always careful with plugged in cords.