Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Does anyone else have a narcissistic parent that does this?

It has hurt me so much in the past realizing now the type of parent I have. When my mother gets mad at me, she threatens to remove me from her health insurance or she threatens to kick me out. Earlier this year, I spent a  portion of a harsh winter homeless because she kicked me out after trying to defend myself. Another thing that my mother does is she is extremely disrespectful and rude to me. When I try to defend myself, she threatens to kick me out or just yells “shut up shut up” and won’t let me get a word in. For an example today, she bought dinner for just herself and my Brother. Sometimes after an argument she’ll either but food for just her and my brother or she’ll cook dinner for just her and him. Yesterday, she cooked dinner and gave my brother a full steak while telling me I could only have half of a steak. Mind you, I’m 23 I’m just about a decade older than my brother. Does anyone else have narcissistic parents that do that to them? 

If you mean narcissistic by taking all your choices and uses you as something to fulfill their own ambitions, like your carrier, profession, what job you do, that's narcissistic.

Your mother sounds like a hostile.

• Foofa

This sounds less like narcissism and more like "please move out already". The reason she takes care of your brother and not you is because HE IS A CHILD. You are a grown adult who should be out making your own way in the world.

I have to chime in here and you're not going to like what I have to say

I don't think your mother is narcissistic, and quite frankly I don't think you understand the meaning of the word, because what you have described about your mother doesn't fit the definition.

I think the issue here is both of you have a sick co-dependent relationship, and neither of you have the proper conflict styles to deal with each other in a productive manner. Her style is fight-retreat-fight, yours is fight-fight, and the problem is it makes the issues that much worse between the two of you. 

I don't know what it is you guys wrangle about, but I think you need to learn to pick your battles more wisely here, not every situation has to be all out war or the need to defend yourself. I think you need to understand that even if she's acting up, that you need to just shut your mouth and walk away from the fight, you don't need to always engage with her. 

She likes to take digs at you, then she uses the "retreat" mode when confronted, she'll play cards like "oh I'll kick you out or cut you off my health insurance plan etc" if you don't bow down to me type thing. Its a power trip on her end, and her way of trying to fight, same way a boxer will use a left jab to counter a right, makes sense right? 

I think the best thing for everyone involved here is if you move out and into your own place. This way your mother can't make her remarks, and this way you can't go at her just to "pick a fight", you both will have distance from each other, and in the interim both of you will hopefully learn much better conflict resolution styles when it comes to dealing with stress and each other.

Your Mom isn't 'narcissistic' ,, she's just a parent with a Dumb*ss 23 year old kid living in her house that doesn't have enough it's head out of it's a*s to do anything with it'self but end up Homeless.

If you want your mother's respect, then MOVE your Codependent Freeloading *SS out & STOP being such a F*ck'n Failure,,

YOU made stupid choices & your Mother has every right to resent the hell out of you for blaming Her & making Her & your brother have to live with the consequences of them.. 

You were obviously not Homeless long enough for it to make a difference, so  what you need to do is live under some bridges warming your hands over trashcan-fires for a while longer up to your eyeballs in other homeless people until you see for yourself what a worthless waste of flesh you are for being one of them.AND, while your at the business of figuring that out, give your Mother a break & STOP being such a Sh*tty example for your younger Brother by NOT even bothering to show your face until you've got at least half your Sh*t together.  

youre probably not the only one, i would move out

• Cathy

No.  You are the only one that has such a parent