Why does Texas DMV give you last months license sticker?

Every time you register your vehicle in Texas they give you a sticker that's already 1 month old.(example) If you register on February 28th you will receive a sticker that expires on January 31st the following year. You should receive a Feb. sticker. This done several million times adds up to a lot of money. Every 12 vehicles registered equals 1 extra 80-90 bucks.

• Edna

I've been registering cars in Texas for years!!! Texas does NOT give you a sticker that's already one month old when you register a car. The sticker expires on the last day of the month in which you register the car. The day of the month you register the car doesn't matter. 

If you registered your car on February 28, 2019, your sticker will NOT expire on January 31, 2020. It won't expire until the LAST day in February 2020. You will always have the full month in which to renew your registration.  

Example: I renewed my registration around the middle of May 2019. My registration sticker will expire on the last day of May 2020. I can renew it anytime during the month of May 2020. I guarantee you that the registration sticker on my windshield reads 0520. 

So in Texas you can re-register your vehicle within 90 days of expiring. That means early. If you do that, you can have your new license for 15 months but it still expires in February. By the way, your February sticker is good through the end of February. It does not expire Jan 31 as you claim. You buy it in February, it's good until next February 28th, or 29th in 2020.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

I live in Texas. If you renew your registration on any date in February (or any other month); your registration sticker will expire at the end of that  same month the  following year. If you renew in Feb. 2020; your new sticker will show 0221. That is the expiration date.

In Texas, when you first get your car titled and registered, the renewal date is set.  You can't "play the date" by waiting for the last day of the month, then getting a renewal sticker that starts the following month, for 12 months.   If you register the first time in January, you will ALWAYS have a January renewal, until you turn your plates in and wait six months before re-registering your vehicle. 

• May

My state does the same thing.  It is likely done to extract more money from us.  

• g

Seriously?

Your motor vehicle is on an annual schedule for registration based on the calendar year, not when you submitted your renewal.  It doesn't matter when you submitted the renewal because the month will be the same every year as long as you own the vehicle.  

Tracking?  I seriously hope so, for your sake.  

• Scott

Because it's in the same month. If you register in January, you get a sticker that expires in January, and so forth. Renew at the first of the month to feel like you're getting your money's worth.

You're supposed to take it out as soon as the old one expires, so....