Wifi shuts off randomly on PC but router is still putting out wifi. How do I solve this?

Ok so I have a cyberpower pc and I have a tplink for my wifi if any of this helps. I have a cable running from my APC battery-back up to my tower that looks similarly like an ethernet cable. When the wifi shuts off it shows a globe with a cross like figure instead of wifi symbol. The only way iv'e been able to solve my problem is to trouble shoot the issue but still sometimes that doesn't work. I know that it isn't a problem with my router because everyone else using the wifi has no issues. There is no wire running from the router to my computer either. My wifi used to work and now this problem has apeared out of no where.

Also when troubleshooting doesn't work it tells me that my ethernet cable is broken or not plugged in all the way.

• Lv 7

time for a new router.

i've never had good luck with TP Link devices. you get what you pay for with technology.

Netgear is my latest go-to for routers. tons of nice features.

• David

The APC cable thing has nothing to do with the problem. 

You may be getting interference from neighbouring wireless signals. 

1)Change the broadcast channel on the router to channel to a less congested one than the current. You can download netstumbler or inssider (google them) and they will display the broadcast channels of any neighbouring wifi networks

2)Turn off any baby alarms cordless phones wireless doorbells as these use the same 2.4Ghz frequency

3)Update the firmware of the router and drivers for your PC/laptop

4) Some cheap WiFi adapters can drop signals, as a last resort consider getting a better WiFi adapter.

Maybe you just have spotty wifi - have you tried different locations??  Call your provider & see if they can find out what's wrong.  Or get yourself a land-line (I have both).  Comes in handy when either one is out.