Engine wasn't starting even with starter fluid. Now starts up fine without having to use starter fluid (wft)?

It's a 1990 Jaguar XJ40. The morning I went to try and start it and it stopped starting even with starter fluid it was after I decided to duck tape a slight crack at the end of the breather hose where you add moter oil to it. My only speculation is that after I fixed the breather hose and then added starter fluid it somehow flooded or messed with the fuel/air ratio so it wouldn't start with the starter fluid after fixing the breather hose and now it starts fine without starter fluid and somehos the crack at the end of the breather hose was the main issue with it not starting. Can a carcked breather hose cause a car to not start when cold. It wan't even that big of a crack just big enough to preven a vacuum seal with the clamp on it.

Tried starting it up a few times over the past 24 hours when cold and starts right up now. 

Favorite Answer

The car had a vacuum leak.  Put a new hose on it.

• J

90 4L jags are a pain, had the same car.

Check the coil to see if its getting spark, likely has nothing to do with the tape job.

Your pet project will never run right. If you want to keep it as a collector vehicle at least have someone who knows how to work on older Jaguars work on it.

Using duct tape on a breather hose is lame. I'll bet you don't even know if the PCV valve on it is working or not.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • k w

hope you got a work car, that one sounds like it needs lots of TLC before it's a regular runner.....I hope you know a qualified mechanic.... I'd dump it, but I don't own it.....and I got a 2002 since new too.....I can't work on this one either, but I used to work on many of mine....but I know, you can no longer just do it yourself any more, the do it yourself part got mostly engineered out of it.....