Why does Slayer sound so terrible and lack talent?

Raaaaaaaah im Slayer and I worship satan look at me raaaaaaaaah it sounds terrible!

Favorite Answer

Slayer are one of the most influential and they are a very talented band instrumentally and lyrically. They have an unorthodox way of playing. How's your band doing?

• Blackened1 month agoReport

You can like whatever you want man. I remember I asked a question about a Judas Priest and Iron Maiden tour, you said it sounded good. That's something we both can agree on. I just disagree with you saying Slayer lack talent.

• Is that really ya boi Grimm 🧐

• ?4 weeks agoReport

That's awesome man, how could I ever forget you? You mentioned me in your rap once. You also accused me of being someone else's alt account. Good times.

Raaaaaahhhhhh, "Mr Grimm"! I dont know how f1cking stupid I look by trying to claim that a band sucks. A band in which I have probably never even extensively listened to. I think that I am clever or witty, but if only I could see how full of schit I look to everyone else!

Source(s): 79
  • Andrew

Personally I don't think they sound terrible, but I can say that I've been a fan for many years and I have always preferred their earlier stuff. I know that sounds like a very cliche thing to say, but I can back up my opinions with plain and simple facts:

What originally set Slayer apart was not only the image that they put forth, but also the fact that they weren't just another band playing loud and fast. Their songs had a level of intricacy and complexity and a sense of style that really helped to distinguish them. Part of that stemmed from the fact that they were all fans of musicians and bands that varied widely in terms of style, so their influences were broad. The most notable was their love of punk rock, which was actually not something that was very common in the early 80s among metalheads. metalheads and punks still despised one another at that time and everywhere you went you were bound to see longhaired metalheads in T-shirts, ripped jeans and motorcycle jackets scrapping with skinheaded punki rockers wearing denim jackets covered in patches. But both kinds of people were welcome at Slayer shows and the fact that their music catered to both demographics is a testament to the fact that they weren't just another bullshit power chord metal band. 

I think that the influence of bands like Mercyful Fate and Venom are blatantly obvious - the Satanic imagery, the dark, dissonant tones, the breakneck galloping riffs that suddenly morph into these creepy half-time parts... But so too can one see the Judas Priest influences, the early Iron Maiden influences - in those layered guitar parts where the harmonics and the high notes are complementing those chugging riffs. Then there are the less obvious influences - the Black Flag and Dead Kennedy's, even the traces of bands like Rainbow and The Doors. 

"Show No Mercy" completely destroys Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" and Exodus' "Bonded By Blood." The riffs are better. The songs are better. the arrangements are better. It's musically, stylistically and aesthetically a much better record. Obviously Hanneman and King were never going to be seen as the next Tipton and Downing, their frantic dissonant leads were never the stuff that would keep virtuosos guessing how they kept pushing the envelope. But their single note work, their dual guitar parts, their dark tone and their crunchy sound all fit together and they made a lot of really wonderful albums. 

I think that "South of Heaven" was their first serious misstep. "Show No Mercy" is just legendary." "Haunting the Chapel" was essentially an intro to "Hell Awaits" and while both are packed with great songs, I don't think they demonstrated the same vision that Slayer showcased with the debut, namely because they'd been honing those songs on stage for years before they were recorded. "Reign in Blood" was when they really came into their own and completely stepped out of the shadow of the groups they were being compared to who were selling more records. That album spawned countless imitators and hit the thrash and death metal scenes with a force that no record had ever done before and probably hasn't since. "South of Heaven" was a poor follow up, but how would anybody really go about following up a career defining record like that? They tried to get back to composing intricate songs that had hooks, but they just fell flat. "Seasons in the Abyss" was fantastic and marked the end of the classic era of the band. After that they began to become a bit more blatant with their punk rock infused influences and began to take on an almost hardcore style tone and feel. Later records began to sound like an infusion of "Suicidal Tendencies" and "Death" and they were never able to recapture the magic that made their early material so special and memorable. 

And it's just a travesty that they saw fit to replace Hanneman - they ought to have called it a day when he died. Bringing on Gary Holt was in very poor taste in my opinion. 

Anyway, it's obvious that they never set out to best bands like Megadeth when it comes to musicianship - Dave Mustaine has more talent in his toenail clippings than Hanneman or King could ever summon, but they did have style, and that's something. And they weren't silly or campy in the same way that bands like Exodus and Overkill and Anthrax were. They never released any bullshit mingy rubbish like Metallica did. And although Megadeth were much more thought provoking with their political commentary, Slayer did raise some interesting questions and weren't afraid to broach certain topics. They were chastised for their Nazi symbolism, for their overt references to Satan, for glorifying warfare and violence, but they were loved by their fans for their incessant energy and for everything that they did for modern metal music. They will go down in history as one of the defining metal bands of their era and one of the most impactful and influential bands of all time. 

As for them lacking talent, I see that your avatar is a picture of Dave Mustaine. I would love to see you play a couple of Slayer songs note for note with leads and then hear you tell me that they lack talent. 

• Lord THand⚡️
      1 month agoReport

and am blown away by it. It is now my favourite record by them (second being "South Of Heaven", another one I skipped over when I was young because of a bad rating on Allmusic Guide). 

• i was never that into slayer the band, the slayers from krull however were fabulous.

Perhaps because they are terrible and lack talent.