Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Do you think my parents are too nosy?

I'm 28 and live with them while I save up money. I normally work until about 2 or 3 pm. Today I ended up working a 12 1/2 hour shift and getting home late. This has happened before. But when I got home, my parents were getting in their car and told me they were going to go to my work to see if everything was ok. Then my dad said he saw me there a couple hours ago. Like he was spying on me.

I mean i appreciate the concern but I'm a 28 year old man and I don't think working a long day qualifies as a reason to panic.

Obviously the solution to this would be to move out. I just think it's kind of an overreaction to me working a long shift, right? I mean would you do that to your kids if they stayed longer at work?

I had thought about letting them know I'd be late but i thought it was kind of unnecessary.  But they never tried to get ahold of me.

Favorite Answer

They might be too nosy, but this may not be the best example.  When you live with others, whether it's parents, a spouse, a roommate etc, it's common courtesy in most cases to text and just say you're working late if this is an unusual occurrence.   In fact, now that I think about it, if they were worried, why didn't they send a text?  

• Foofa

Oh for the love... This all could have been avoided with a simple text telling them you'd be working late. Yes, at 28 you should be able to come and go as you please...from your own apartment. As long as you're taking your parents' hospitality you owe them at least the basic courtesy of not making them worry. You can act like an independent adult once you are an independent adult.

I recommend you to play naive and pretend you don't realise they are this controlling and overprotective. "yeah dad I was working no worries".

If they call you non stop but you can't /don't want to answer tell them later "sorry was working, cant pick up when im busy" etc.

They probably won't change their ways. Don't let it affect you but save and make plans to move out. You could get a roomate or live in a pension or some cheaper place.

Only you know what's best for you.

• keerok

Your parents lived in a time when work was a more structured 8-5 thing. Explain to them what you do and that it involves working late, not time-bound and necessary to be so. Tell them you're not fooling around and when you arrive home late, you're actually very tired that you don't have time to prepare your own dinner. Tell them you appreciate their concern and all the help they're giving you so far. Tell them you will reward them with a good and kind partner if ever you find one because at the rate they're going, you won't because no one will want to get close to a 28-year old being followed around by his parents everywhere. Tell it all to them in a calm and sweet tone, with a smile from ear to ear.

The solution is to text your parents or call them and tell them you're going to be late. That's considerate no matter who you are living with. They're picturing you dead in a ditch somewhere when they don't know where you are. Age has nothing to do with that. 

• nanu

no......................................