Emily Rose asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Do you have to be in a caloric surplus to tone up your muscles?

Or can you be in a deficit and still tone up as long as you have lots of protein in your diet? I've heard of ppl cutting body fat and building muscle at the same time.

• Logan
    Favorite Answer

You should not be on a calorie surplus if your goal is to look more muscular by increasing muscle tone and leanness.Toning muscle does not involve gaining mass. They are two different things. There is a limit to how much mass a  person can gain.  Once you reach it, a calorie surplus will just make you fat.   

• Emily Rose

true and im not in a caloric surplus i was just asking because i have heard different things about it. Nothing more nothing less.

Losing body fat and building muscle is an insanely difficult thing to do and is often not done successfully. Basically if you want a lean bulk you need to eat almost exclusively chicken and fish. High protein, low fat. And you need to eat enough to maintain but still do enough cardio to lose it's just not recommended you're better of building muscle and then cutting fat.

In my experience you can do both in the right circumstances. While I was losing 85 pounds (which put me at 140) I got my squat up to 250 (I am a woman). Proper form and below parallel. I don't remember what my other lifts were but they were good too. I followed a good plan, ate enough protein and I was young (18-19). I'm sure my genetics also played a part.

All that being said, not everyone can do this and from what I hear, most people cant. You can however at the very least maintain what muscle you have while you lose weight and if you are new to lifting you should be able to add some muscle. So pick a good lifting routine (starting strength, stronglifts, fierce 5, strong curves etc) and eat enough protein.