frank
frank asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Food: Is there a loaf of bread in the market that actually tastes like real bread?

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Ya right, IS THERE? They put so many differant things in bread these day so it will keep it kinda kills the smell and flavour of the bread. I occasionally buy an uncut loaf from Tesco (on sell by) and even then I'm struggling to taste what should be coming easy in a loaf of FRESH BREAD. ;-(

• Stanley
      1 month agoReport

Thanks for the BA.

Natures Own still has a good flavor smell and texture.round $2.50 a loaf.

Try buying from an independent baker, rather than from a supermarket or chain-store bakers -such as Greggs. Most tons of anty size will have several independent bakeries. Warning - such bread will be considerably dearer than supermarket bread.  We have an independent bakery in the centre of Hastings, less than a mile from me, I think their loaves are about £3+ or so for a smallish loaf.

• Go to a boulangerie and buy some French bread.

GO to the supermarket bakery, and pay $5 a loaf, you'll get nice bread. You can even have it sliced there. OR you can bake your own bread ;)

• denise

Sourdough loaves have the 'real yeast' taste.

• Joe

There is artisanal bread that is available at my grocery store that has a fantastic taste

It depends on your definition of 'real bread'. 

Where I shop they have loaves of 'artisanal bread' (I hate that term but everyone understands what it means) from a local bakery.  It's made the 'old-fashioned' way, i.e. just flour, water, yeast and salt.  With a nice thick chewy crust. This is very much like my own homemade bread (thought I usually do whole wheat).