How does ranking work on the civil service exam?

Hi I just got my score on the state civil service exam for correctional officer of 75% and a rank of 2787. Obviously it's not perfect but it's a passing grade. I have a few friends that are correctional officers and I was told that it goes based upon the rank. My question is at the rank that I recieved is that rank on high or low side in terms of recieving a canvas letter? Such as is a rank 1 better than a 50 or is it the other way around? Thank you for any input.

• Judy

A rank of 1 is much better than 50, which in turn is MUCH better than 2787 which is definitely low.

My friend, that means you placed in 2,787th place. 2,786 other applicants received a higher score than you. Unless you have political contacts, I wouldn't expect to obtain the position too soon. Perhaps one of your friends who are C/O's can put a word in for you?