Anonymous

Should I apply for disability benefits when I move out even though I don’t have a severe disability?

Unless of course you count ADHD, but that is manageable-ish. I do have high functioning autism and auditory processing disorder as well. However my therapist, who I see once a month, told me that I should go on it once I move I’m out.

I do struggle socially, especially with keeping my head above water in a job. I work in customer service and sometimes my sensory issues are getting the best of me, that’s the only thing I’ve told her so far.

I think I would feel guilty going on it but sometimes it’s a bit much for me.

@Judith I forgot to mention that I believe she mentioned it after I mentioned that I was worried that I won’t be able to keep my job.

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Keep in mind that your therapist doesn't make the disability decision; Social Security does.  They get the medical records and evaluate them and they make the decision.  Those records must show that you are so severely disabled that you are incapable of working and earning $1220 a month in 2019 and $1260 a month in 2020 in spite of treatment.   Your condition must be that severely disabling for AT LEAST TWELVE MONTHS.   If under age 50 you must be unable to do ANY type of job - not just work you've been doing.  If age 50 or older you must be incapable of doing the same type of work you've done most in the 15 years before becoming disabled.

If  YOU don't think you are that severely disabled then Social Security sure is't going to think so.  So save yourself the time and effort and don't file.  If you think you will meet the criteria then file once you have stopped working.  And perhaps you can print my answer out and show it to your therapist who is probably referring people to file claims and is wasting everyone's time (and money) because when social security personnel spend time on files of people who clearly don't meet the requirements that means that they aren't spending time on processing those who do.

There is no reason why anyone who has been approved for social security and/or SSI disability benefits to feel guilty about it.  They wouldn't be approved unless the evidence shows them to be severely disabled AND that the severity of their condition is expected to last for at least 12 months.  A disability is something out of your control.  If you could control it and don't THEN you would have something to feel guilty about.

I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

If you CAN avoid going on disability than avoid it! It is invasive, and depressing. Not a good life!

assuming you are 18, if you qualified for disability in the US, you wouldn't have to wait until you move out, you could get it while you live with your parents.

if you can work and earn at least 1220/month, you do not qualify for disability.  customer service is a more social job, there are other jobs you can do if you can't manage customer service.