leave non profit job for federal job?? pay cut?

I began working at this nonprofit 2 years ago. I pays fantastic and it has the potential to be a great job. However, the management is not the best. and i dont think i would get an opportunity to earn more or grow unless someone died. staff still has another 20+ years.

Staff arrives late

i have never gotten a review 

my boss wont communicate with me for weeks on end, then on a saturday I am given all this criticism

after a year long hiring process i got offered a job for the Dept. of Homeland Secuitry.

Thing is it pays 5k less and theres no overtime option, which i cap at this job every year at 2k

i think that i wil have more opportunities to grow and earn more at the federal job. but i also will earn less and its very cushy my current job, i can leave when i want. theres no oversight. 

question is should i quit my job for this federal job that pays less? or stay?

What % is $5k?  if your current pay is 'fantastic' as you say, I'm assuming $5k isn't much.  Money isn't everything and as said, you have good retirement benefits.

• DON W

In general, if you can get a federal job, grab it.  The jobs tend to be stable, have excellent health and other benefits, include training opportunities, and have the chance to grow in your career.  You also will be serving the public good.

• A.J.

Can  you reduce your daily living expenses to reduce the impact of a lower salary?

Is the government salary sufficient to meet needs?

Which job do you believe you would enjoy doing more? Pay is not everything.

If the potential of the government job is better, you can defer some savings in anticipation of doing better in the future.

Nobody should tell you what to do, but instead I offer how to evaluate and make a choice.

So you like working for this non-profit because you can be part of an overpaid, lazy and incompetent team who is fine sucking their cushy living out of the donations that are made in good faith and trust?     Hmmm....

I guess if that's what you will take pride in when you are at the sunset of your career looking backwards...hmm...

You already know the answer or you wouldn't be interviewing.  It's time for a change.   That is unless having to actually put in 40 hours or earn your paycheck is off-putting to you.